For 2 days I have been trying to change maximum upload size because I was not able to upload big new plugins and also pictures to NextGEN Gallery with over 2MB sizes. I had my limit up to 2MB, but now I changed to 1000MB.
So how I did it?
First of all, we should know where our php.ini is located. I was building my wordpress web-site on my localhost for testing, so basically I was not changing anything through hosting web-sites. In case if your wordpress is hosted by any company, please refer to other topics.
So I will start briefly, but in case if you have questions, I am ready to answer.
1. Create new text file in our wp-admin directory root and name it info.php.
2. Open info.php and add these lines:
3. Save it.
4. Go to yourwebsitename(probably localhost)/wp-admin/info.php in any web-browser.
5. In the 8th line you will see: Configuration File (php.ini) Path, in my case it is C:\Windows, meaning it is located on my C drive.
6. In the 9th line you will see: Loaded Configuration File, and next to it is written C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS Express\PHP\v5.3\php.ini
So I found my php.ini page that is associated with my wordpress web-site.
7. Go to that path, and find php.ini.
8. Open it, and edit:
Search for post_max_size=8M, and change it to post_max_size=1000M
Search for upload_max_filesize=2M, and change it to upload_max_filesize=1000M
9. Go back to your admin page>Media>Add New
10. On the bottom you will see that 2MB has changed to 1000M.
P.S: I had problems with overwriting php.ini page, it was telling me access is denied. If you have such problems, google it, and change some permissions so you can edit that file.