I would like to have a navigation bar on the left hand side that include the different topic categories I have. Unfortunately, I’m not seeing it in the dashboard / settings and I cannot find a post on it.
Perhaps it’s just too simple a question 😉 I’m afraid I’m quite a newbie to this. Thanks for your help!
You need to add this to your sidebar:
<?php wp_list_categories('title_li='); ?>
Thanks! I read the article but not sure which source file is the side bar. How do I determine where “exactly” to place the code?
Hi , this depends on the theme you have. Could be sidebar.php or left-sidebar.php
1. Always backup such a file before editing (in case something goes wrong)
2. If you are using the default theme, do not edit it directly but first copy the complete theme folder content to a new folder and call that one mytheme (or something else you like). Otherwise your editing will be lost after a WordPress update because WordPress updates the default and the Classic theme.
Thanks! I found it and was able to start modifying the content on my sidebar. I’m curious though, how do I comment something out in PHP. I’ve programmed in about a zillion languages just not PHP and the comments don’t seem to be working for me.
1. I looked at other comments (c style /* comment */) and tried that. No dice.
2. Google and discovered there were several others that might work… (//, #, <– comment –>) but couldn’t get any of these to work either.
So how exactly do you comment out tags / lines of code in PHP.
<!-- This is an HTML or PHP Comment -->
these days, google is your friend; (search ‘php comment’)
and so is the w3school.com:
- The topic ‘Category Navigation’ is closed to new replies.