I'm responding to this post because I, too spent massive, unpaid amounts of time trying to find the answer to why my links worked but my Pages resulted in an error page on Save – although the saves were actually working, this was extremely annoying as I had to go back or re-login to continue editing.
I went through updating Permalinks, tried the "category" and "tag" trick unsucessfully, verified my root .htaccess and index.php files (as my site is in a subdirectory which sometimes creates issues), all to no avail until…
I finally came across the .htaccess in the wp-admin folder trick mentioned in this article (where someone was getting Ajax errors, which I was not) :
…and voilà! I can properly save Pages and Posts again.
The article says :
If you do not have an .htaccess in your wp-admin/ directory:
- create a text file on your desktop:
- put the following inside it:
- save the file (you could name it htaccess.txt, for example)
- upload the file to your wp-admin directory
- rename the uploaded file to .htaccess (with the . in front and remove .txt)
If you do have an .htaccess in your wp-admin/ directory:
- edit it by adding the following:
- be sure to save the new or edited .htaccess
Note to moderator or other WP folks : There are many posts related to this problem after upgrading to 2.6 (on Apache with mod_rewrite, etc.) so it would be great if you could put this info somewhere more easily found as too many people posted "Error after 2.6 upgrade" and other such non-helpful post titles.