can’t resolve domain name on local server
So I’ve been trying to install wordpress on a pi at home. The server works just fine! the LAMP setup is pretty straightforward and clean. I can access the default Apache page, than my site through the machine’s IP address or localhost. But things get sour when I try to configure the site to answer to my domain name.
I think I tried every trick in the book?
– configuring a virtualhost in Apache site’s .conf (ServerName & ServerAlias)
– changing hostnames in /etc/hosts from 127.0.0.1 [name_of_the_machine] to 127.0.0.1 [name of the site
– configure a redirection directly in the .htaccess file (works fine! …but is overwritten by wp-config.php so I suspect the solution might be here?)
– change URLs in the dashboard – when I do this I can no longer access anything
– change database registry with WP CLI (same result)
– hardcode the URLs in the wp-config.php file (same result)
The DNS is correctly configured on the registrar side, when I setup port forwarding it links perfectly to my public IP and my public IP displays perfectly… my local machine’s IP, so the problem really is local.
I tried reinstalling and reconfiguring all that stuff around 15 times now and I’m confused and tired.
Does anyone have any idea of what I’m doing wrong and any solution to propose – other than “go to a host provider” or “hire a web developer”?
Thanks a lot for your answers!
- The topic ‘can’t resolve domain name on local server’ is closed to new replies.