I have a big problem here. I’ll just list this in the steps in which they happened.
- I set up my WordPress site.
- I logged in.
- I customized it, themes, plugins, you know.
- I went to edit my password from the one the installation generated.
- I changed it, but while I was on the My Profile page my session expired. Lucky me!
- I was sent to the login page.
- I tried to log in with my new password, overwriting my ‘remembered’ password in FireFox with the new one I thought I had set.
- What do you know, it didn’t work..
- I realized, “Hey! I can just use the forgotten password thing!”
- I then found out that the free web host I use has all PHP mailing functions disabled for ‘security reasons’.
Yes, so there’s my problem.. I can’t log in, and I can’t recover my old password. I tried doing this to fix it, since I have database access:
- I took a password I intended to log in with and put it through an MD5 hash program (as I had earlier noticed in my WP database that WP used MD5 to hash the passwords.).
- I edited the entry for my administrator account in the
wp_userstable to use this new MD5 password.
- Apparently WP uses something more than MD5.. because this didn’t work.
So as you can now see, this is a fairly large dilemma. Is there any way to get logged in again without having to reinstall WordPress? Because I really don’t want to reinstall WordPress. And as a last important note, I am the only administrator (actually, the only user also) at my blog. That means that nobody at the site can help.. 🙁
I’m going to go weep in the corner.. I’ll check back later to see if you brilliant people have solved this problem. (No sarcasm there.)
Thanks so much,
- The topic ‘Can’t login, can’t reset password by email.. oh no’ is closed to new replies.