I've been trying off and on for over 4 days and cannot get a multi-site & domain working. Here's what I'm attempting to accomplish and where the latest failure is:
I have two domains <name>.net and <name>.me registered and pointing at the same host. What I'd like is for anyone navigating to <name>.net to see my professional pages and blog. Anyone navigating to <name>.me should get my personal blog and hobbies pages.
(from hereon, wherever you see name, assume its the domain name)
WP 3.9.2 is installed on a Linux (Centos 7) VPS along with the latest LAMP stack. So, here's where I have gotten to and my latest/last stumbling block:
1) The host file is configured as x.x.x.x name.net http://www.name.net name.me http://www.name.me
2) WordPress is installed under /var/www/html/wordpress.
3) I've enabled a test site to act as the default web page using the instructions found on this site (copied index.php and .htaccess into the root folder and modified the index.php). This is working fine as I can navigate to all 4 urls (name.net, http://www.name.net, name.me, http://www.name.me) and all get me to the same test site
4) Enabled multi-site (pretty urls work, .htaccess updates) and I updated the wp-config.php and .htaccess with the new rules and selected sub-directory site installs (not wildcard DNS)
5) I added a new site and all went well. The super admin menu lets me see the site, navigate to them, update them. All is well
6) Installed the mu plugin. Installed from the panel, activated it, copied the sunrise.php to the right place, updated the wp-config.php, went to the network page and defined the ip address and once again no issues.
Now, here's where the final hurdle lies:
I can get into the domain mapping menu and it can only find a single domain (e.g. name.net can be found from the domain search field, but it refuses to show or find name.net, http://www.name.net, http://www.name.me). In addition, the only domain it can find is the domain that breaks access to the admin console on subsequent logout and attempt to login. You can see the re-direct looping and you can never get back into the web admin page
So, I can map one domain to a default web site (e.g. hover over the edit and select the index) but cannot get the mu-plugin to find or allow me to map any other domain
Has anyone seen this issue and have any idea of what is going on here?