This was fixed by the amazing dreamhost customer support - we were hacked. We did do the upgrade on the hacked database to 2.5 - but they replaced the database with 2.2 and then even ran the upgrade scripts for us and everything is great.
I guess stay current or get hacked. Also - keep a copy of your database every week - and know that rolling back the database prior to being hacked was the only way to fix this.
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, you wrote:
> This started as:
> 1. 3 Days ago our PAGES became POSTS
> 2. We then checked the database and the PAGES are POSTS not PAGES
> 3. We then upgraded - and the PERMALINKS Updated the PAGE URLS to point to
> POSTS because I think it's just a feature of the rewrite
> 4. Now we can no longer POST PAGES or POST POSTS (we could also not do this
> with the one click install of 2.2)
> 5. we are on 2.5 - and before a few days ago had over a year of smooth
> Here is a discussion of the same issue with another person at Dreamhost:
> Attempting to publish a PAGE or POST results ina blank post.php - we do get
> the title saved but nothing else. The PAGE or POST never publishes to the
> site and stays in draft mode.
> This started 3 days ago - when we were still using 2.2 - but then all of our
> PAGES became POSTS and then you couldn't post anything. So we upgraded to 2.5
> and it did fix the permalinks of the old pages that are now POSTS.
> I have tried the following:
> 1. Upgrading 2.2 - 2.5
> 2. Creating a new admin user in 2.5 and seeing if it's a user permissions
> 3. turning off mod_security for test in the htaccess file
> 4. updated all plugins
> 5.deleted cache
> 6. updated permalinks (which also resulted in a blank page)
> 7. deleted old htaccess file in route and updated with permalinks
> 8. Done clean install by deleting everything - then installing plug-ins -
> etc. and using default theme
> Nothing fixes it. To me it seems since it happened with 2.2 and our plug-ins,
> ability to publish posts or pages, and our PAGES turning to POSTS just
> happened 3 days ago with us changing nothing - something else has to be going
> on - server side or with some user permissions - database permissions - who
> knows - but we can't seem to fix what worked for over a year.
So I've looked at your issue and you seem to have fallen prey to a really
mean hack attempt that mucks up your database. You did the right thing
by upgrading to a stable version of WordPress, but now I'll need to roll
back your database to its state from 3 days ago to fix this. Go ahead
and let me know if you are okay with me doing that and I'll gladly go in
and take care of you as quickly as possible.