Support » Plugin: AWS for WordPress » Bulk Update Not Working

  • Hi,

    I tried Bulk Update for the first time (in order to generate files with updated Polly lexicon again).

    The info message shows that 2 pieces of text-based content will be updated, which is strange, because I have custom post type which has ~300 posts. The custom post type is also added to the list of supported post types on the Plugin settings page.

    “You are about to convert 2 pieces of text-based content, which totals approximately 506,104 characters. Based on the Amazon Polly pricing ($4 dollars per 1 million characters) it will cost you about $0.08097664 to convert all of your content into to speech-based audio. Some or all of your costs might be covered by the Free Tier (conversion of 5 million characters per month for free, for the first 12 months, starting from the first request for speech). Learn more https://aws.amazon.com/polly/”

    When I click the Bulk button, then the loading bar is shown (and the admin-ajax call send to Backend), but beside that nothing seems to happen. The loading bar stays forever and there are also no errors/logs in the log files regarding the bulk process. All audio files stay like the are.

    Can you please give me some hint how to find a solution for this.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • I found this older thread: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/bulk-update-not-working/

    After reading this I also checked database server performance and when running Bulk Update also the database usage is increasing massively.

    I found a workaround, which is fine for now:

    Instead of using Bulk Update in the Polly Plugin Settings, another way is to just select all posts in the post list/overview (standard WP features) and then select Update for all of them. Updating all lectures will automatically also regenerate all related Polly audio files.

    • This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by wppwu243.

    At the risk of bringing a zombie post back from the dead, I am running into this issue as well.

    I am able to add text-to-speech on individual pages by updating them. However, when I try to bulk update the entire site, I am presented with a progress bar that shows “Loading…”, but does not progress (regardless of how long it processes).

    Here’s a screenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b7cAJadY6EFeD67fK1k-m4sq5N_TcQwY/view?usp=sharing

    When I select the “Bulk update” button in the settings, I am presented with the following. It seems odd because it reports 0 pieces of text-based content, but then totals the characters (?).

    You are about to convert 0 pieces of text-based content, which totals approximately 99,969 characters. Based on the Amazon Polly pricing ($4 dollars per 1 million characters) it will cost you about $0 to convert all of your content into to speech-based audio. Some or all of your costs might be covered by the Free Tier (conversion of 5 million characters per month for free, for the first 12 months, starting from the first request for speech). Learn more https://aws.amazon.com/polly/

    Perhaps this will help with diagnosing the problem:

    1. The first time I attempted to run the bulk update, it started, but appeared to hang and never completed.

    2. I am trying to do text-to-speech on non-standard post types (sfwd-courses sfwd-lessons sfwd-topic).

    3. I created a new AWS account and set this up in the plugin settings, but had the same results.

    4. I can bulk update using the method of selecting posts manually as described in the previous post, then bulk editing–>updating. This is not really ideal, as it requires a great deal of manual inputs, and leads to user error.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Bulk Update Not Working’ is closed to new replies.