I find it very hard to believe this is a bug, so I'm asking if anyone else knows what's going on.
When using the default buddypress template, the name of my blog should be linked to the blog's address, zarathud.org. IN FACT, it was linked to the wordpress address, zarathud.org/something/wordpress/
I fixed this by making a child theme with an edited header.php, but I'd like to pursue the original problem.
The default copy of bp-default's header.php used site_url() to get the blog's address. According to the wordpress documentation, that should have been correct. However, that returned zarathud.org/something/wordpress instead of just zarathud.org.
I fixed this by using bloginfo( 'url' ), but I gather that bloginfo doesn't return https in situations that require it, and siteurl() is supposed to be better.
thanks for any feedback. Tell me if you think this really is a bug, and I'll report it. However, it's such a prominent feature of the default template that I find that improbable.