I'm running WordPress 3.3.1 on my own hosted website. I'm a novice to all this, so I don't write code or anything! But I do use the php client FileZilla, so I'm not too bad. ;) My website home address (www.alisonnidhorchaidhe.com)has a flash page, then has the root /blog, which is run on WordPress. I had been using Blogger a my blog platform, so I imported the blogs on there to bring them on to WordPress.
Because time allowed for it, I spent yesterday working on the blog part of the site. I bought a new theme -- ColorWay Theme Pro 2.1.7 by InkThemes.com -- and used the theme options to add links to the blog homepage. Everything was looking and working great. It must be one of the following actions that has led the permalinks for my blog posts to become broken:
I created a new page under the title "Blog", and changed the permalink to direct the page to http://alisonnidhorchaidhe.com/blog/index.php/2012/02/. But I remember going into this, and the blogs worked fine.
When I had imported my blog posts from Blogger, the tags became part of the "Categories" section on WordPress; so I used the Categories to Tags Converter Importer plugin to fix this. I then created a three categories, "poetry", "filíocht" and "bàrdachd" (poetry in Irish and Scottish Gaelic), and put my different language poems into these categories. I created another page ("Poetry"), and had hoped to create drop-down menu options under this parent page for the other two language. Again, when I created these wee pages, I changed the permalink to the link to their category page. This didn't work out as planned, so I just deleted the "Poetry" page and its menu options.
Then I created a "Gallery" and a "Contact" page, as per the instructions that came with the theme package. The "Gallery" page seems to be misbehaving, but I'm not too bothered about that for now.
It was at this stage that I noticed that I was getting the 500 Internal Server Error when I went into my blog posts. I thought it was just being tempermental after all the work, and that it would sort itself out. But no, the problem is still there today. I've been researching and trying out different things all afternoon, like changing the blog permalinks back to default, but I can't figure it out. I even contacted my host provider, and they said it was my permalinks that were broken, and that needed to be fixed within WordPress. I've been seeing folk talking about the htaccess file, but I've no idea what that is or how to get to it.
Sorry for my lengthy post, but I figured it was best to fill you in on what I was up to in order to diagnose the problem! ;)