Support » Plugin: Yoast SEO » Breadcrumbs show wrong taxonomy

  • Resolved InDzine Steve

    (@steveindzine)


    Hi there,
    This is an odd one! Using Yoast 14.2. I am redeveoloping a site and have imported the news from the live one using the built in tools. The posts are showing the wrong category in the breadcrumbs.

    Example: https://getechdev.wpengine.com/news/getech-attending-africa-oil-week/ This is showing a menu, Top Bar, as the category. The only way to make this work correctly is to set a different category as primary, and then set the original category as primary, and to remove the other category.

    Oddly it only happens to posts with the News category. Posts categorised as Blog are ok.

    Anyone else seen this happen?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Plugin Support Priscilla Chapman

    (@priscillamc)

    Hi @steveindzine,

    This is a strange problem since it’s only affecting your News category posts. Please try the following to reindex the Yoast SEO data on your site:

    1. Install & activate the Yoast Test Helper plugin
    2. Go to Tools > Yoast Test
    3. Click the “Reset indexables & migrations” button
    4. Go to SEO > Tools and under SEO data, click the “Speed up your site” button.
    Thread Starter InDzine Steve

    (@steveindzine)

    Hi Priscilla,

    I have just done this and it hasn’t helped, nothing has changed.

    Steve

    Plugin Support Md Mazedul Islam Khan

    (@mazedulislamkhan)

    We are sorry to hear that you’re still experiencing the issue. Can you please confirm how exactly did you import the contents from the live site using “built in” tools? Is that a custom built-in tools on your site?

    Thread Starter InDzine Steve

    (@steveindzine)

    On the current live site I went to Tools, Export, selected Posts and clicked the Download Export File.

    On the development site I went to Tools, Import, then installed the WordPress importer. I then clicked Run Importer, seleted the file that I downloaded and clicked on Upload file and Import button. I selected the new users for the posts and ran the importer.

    Like I said, I used the “built in” tools that come with WordPress, nothing custom.

    Steve

    Plugin Support Pcosta88

    (@pcosta88)

    Hi,

    We would like some more information.

    1. On both sites (the live one and the staging site), can you confirm you are using WordPress 5.4.1? You can check by clicking on the W in the top left and selecting About. If you need to update, please check with your host provider. Please know that if you are using an older version of WordPress Core you may experience unexpected behavior with Yoast. This guide explains more: https://yoast.com/why-we-dont-support-old-wordpress-versions/.

    2. On both sites are you using v14.2 of Yoast? If not, please update Yoast and then try the importation process again.

    3. Are the plugins on both sides updated?

    4. On the staging site and the live site do you have a /news/ section? If so, can you elaborate more on how that /news/ URL was created? Did you create some kind of custom post type?

    Thread Starter InDzine Steve

    (@steveindzine)

    1. Both sites are 5.4.1
    2. No, the old site is 12.6.2 of Yoast SEO
    3. No, the old site has out of date plugins but isn’t my responsibility to update
    4. /news/ is the category, no custom post type. There is also /blog/ which is also a category.

    I didn’t think the WordPress import function would bring in Yoast SEO meta data, but if it does, and this is the problem, I will update Yoast on the live site and re-import.

    Steve

    Plugin Support Michael Tina

    (@mikes41720)

    Hey @steveindzine

    Would it also be possible for you to try and flush out the permalinks and see if this fixes the issue? You can head to your WP admin dashboard > Settings (sidebar) > Permalinks > and click on ‘save changes’ without making any other modifications.

    Thread Starter InDzine Steve

    (@steveindzine)

    On the live site I updated to Yoast SEL 14.3 and ran the indexables tables & migrations. I then exported and reimported. I then assigned via bulk edit the news category to some unwanted categories, and once complete deleted the unwanted categories. I then reset the indexables tables & migrations and ran it again. Still no joy. The only way is to go into a post and select another category, make it primary, then make the original one primary, and deselect the other category. Doing this for 130 posts is going to take a while.

    Steve

    Plugin Support devnihil

    (@devnihil)

    Based on the information you provided, we expect this to be a bug. We’re actively using the bug tracking on our GitHub repository so your best next step would be to create a new issue for our developers at https://github.com/Yoast/wordpress-seo/issues/new. You will need an account to create a new issue. If this is your first bug report, please check out: https://kb.yoast.com/kb/how-to-write-a-good-bug-report/.

    Plugin Support devnihil

    (@devnihil)

    We are going ahead and marking this issue as resolved due to inactivity. If you require any further assistance please create a new issue.

    Thread Starter InDzine Steve

    (@steveindzine)

    Not resolved, I haven’t had time to create a bug report.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Breadcrumbs show wrong taxonomy’ is closed to new replies.