Support » Plugin: Site Kit by Google - Analytics, Search Console, AdSense, Speed » Bottom Ads with Auto Adsense Ads not responding page issue
since I activated the automatic ads with Adsense SiteKit integration reaching the end of the page the browser tab no longer responds. No problem in the admin view where ads are disabled. No problem even when in the presence of ads you do not reach the bottom of the page.
Can you help me?
The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]
Thanks for getting in touch. I’d be happy to assist here with regards your browser tab not responding. So I can be sure of what’s occurring please share the following so I can best advise:
- When you mention the browser tab no longer responding, does this occur in all browsers, including a Chrome browser incognito window?
- Is the primary issue that your page freezes when you encounter an anchor ad, at the footer of your page?
Once we have the above information I can advise on this further. If the issue is specific to anchor ads I can assist with a filter to disable these. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!
Yes is the primary issue… all other ads have no problem.
The issue occurs also in incognito window.
I share a video using Google Form
Many thanks for going to the trouble of creating and sharing the video, very useful to see what’s occurring.
While I can’t be sure of the cause at this point, can you firstly check if the same occurs if you disable anchor ads on your site? You can do from by visiting the AdSense platform directly and opening your AdSense settings for that particular site. After doing so disable Anchor ads (Ad settings > Ad formats).
An alternative option is to disable ads from the footer area of your site.
Let me know how you get on with the check above, or ask if you have any questions.
Just following up with you to check whether the same issue occurs after performing the checks suggested above?
Let me know if you need assistance with any of these checks.
As we didn’t receive a response I’ll mark this as resolved. Feel free to open a new support topic if you continue to encounter issues, or reopen this topic and we’d be happy to assist.
I have the exact same problem (pages become unresponsive when reaching the bottom), happens in both normal and incognito mode. Have tested both Chrome and Edge with same results. I will disable bottom ads and see if this is the culprit.
Can confirm that disabling anchor ads in adsense auto ads settings has resolved the issue.
Finally, this was also happening on mobile (Android, using Chrome)
Many thanks for the input @dazman88. Disabling anchor ads from your AdSense settings over at adsense.google.com can indeed ensure no such ads appear on the footer of your site. This can be useful in cases where themes or aspects of your site don’t work well with anchor ads.
Hi, seeing the number of similar reports and questions on https://support.google.com/adsense/ this problem is encountered by many users. But it is an elusive issue and only occurs in very specific cases, making it hard to reproduce or debug.
What I found so far by many tests and eliminations:
- The issue is not caused by a conflict with a third party script or WordPress itself (I was able to reproduce it on an HTML test page https://ardeche.one/test/index.html where the adsbygoogle.js is the only script included in the page source)
- The issue only occurs when both the Adsense options “GDPR consent message” and “Anchor ads” are ON but the option “Turn off anchor ads on screens wider than 1000px, like desktop” is OFF (!)
- It occurs in Chrome/ium and Firefox (have not tested other browsers) only in a window wider than 1000px where the anchored ad will be placed at the bottom (smaller windows will get the anchor ad at the top, and the freeze will NOT occur!)
- It occurs when (a) the visitor gives consent, (b) receives an anchor add on the page (c) reaches the end of the page where the anchor add is overlapping the closed GDPR consent slide-out thingy.
I really hope Google will feel enough shame about the pain it is inflicting on so many website visitors (getting browser freezes) and administrators (spending many hours trying to debug and loosing income in the process) and finally start taking this issue serious and fix what is clearly an internal conflict!
But until then, there appear to be several options to work around the issue:
- Disable Anchor ads (and loose income)
- Check the option Turn off anchor ads on screens wider than 1000px, like desktop (and loose income, but probably less than option 1)
- Disable GDPR consent message (and possibly loose no income but spend time on an alternative like Complianz)
Hi @jamesosborne we already did that but nobody seems interested. Hoped you could relay the message adding some weight 😉
In any case, work-arounds for the WP community are there!
Unfortunately such feedback does need to go through the usual channels. Not what you want to hear I’m sure, but we are limited to plugin related feedback. Thank you also for providing a list of workaround, this is very useful should others encounter the same while this remains an issue.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.