Support » Fixing WordPress » Blog mainpage odd behavior

  • Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, and I’ve searched everywhere, but, here goes….

    Discovered this issue this morning, and I’m not sure how to handle it. Our main blog page seems to be isolating a person’s name that is spelled Paoli, and removing the letters ‘aol’ in the excerpt. On the above page, 4th title down (The Statute of Frauds in Business Disputes), the byline says ‘By Henry J. Pi, Attorney’. When you link to the blog page, his name is spelled correctly. Everywhere on the site, his name displays correctly, but the main blog page seems to have something against it.

    We’ve tried doing a custom excerpt, with the same results. The post has his name in a link, and we’ve tried removing the link, same results. We’ve tried escaping the letters with ascii equivalents (aol) – displays appropriately on the post, but not on the main page excerpt.

    Bizarre!

    This is an older site, using older versions, and is extensive enough that we don’t want to upgrade until we do a complete makeover. WordPress v 3.9.15, Florida theme v 2.1.1.

    Any guru hints on what we can do (outside of upgrading? Because that would bring the site down) to alleviate this? It’s almost as if something dislikes aol and doesn’t want to show it!

    The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Moderator Steven Stern

    (@sterndata)

    Support Team Volunteer

    My bet is that there’s something in your theme that puts a maximum length on your author names on the blog archive page. If you’re not going to upgrade, you need to work through the code for that template.

    Thanks. Except for the fact that this particular name is the only one that gets ‘massaged’, I’d say it’s not a length issue. It’s not even truncating, just targeting those 3 letters.

    We’ve even created a test blog post. In the title we put ‘aol test’, and the title shows correctly on the main page. In the body of the post, we put ‘This is a test, to see if aol is removed in excerpts. How about Paoli? Remove aol test. aol Removed altogether’.

    The main blog page shows:
    aol test
    BY CURREY ADKINS SUPPORT IN UNCATEGORIZED
    This is a test to see if is removed in excerpt. How about Pi? Remove test. Removed

    We’re also using Wordfence on the site, v 6.3

    Moderator Steven Stern

    (@sterndata)

    Support Team Volunteer

    Find and edit the user’s user record; retype his last name. There may be some funky character in there that’s breaking stuff.

    Um, ok, a miscommunication. This is not a user. This is text from the first paragraph in the blog post.

    The user that is posting is called ‘CURREY ADKINS’ so that shows under the blog title.

    The first line in the post is actually an image, and the words ‘By Henry J. Paoli’.

    So it’s text in the blog.

    Moderator Steven Stern

    (@sterndata)

    Support Team Volunteer

    Retype that text

    Update your theme and wordpress and then see if it’s something that’s already been fixed.

    Unfortunately, we can’t. The site wasn’t originally developed in a way to encourage updating. And it’s extensive enough that it needs a complete rewrite.

    We’ll debug and test using the code displaying the excerpts. If/when we figure out what’s doing it, I’ll post here.

    Thanks for your time.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.