Dear WordPress gurus:
Firstly, though I installed WordPress on my own, my tech expertise is essentially limited to reading instructions, so kindly keep this in mind in your responses.
My blog is located at http://www.theninthhouse.net/tnh. Careful about clicking the link, for reasons below.
Google has listed it as an attack site, saying it distributes malware. If you logon to the site, at least in Firefox, you’ll see the warning. You can click the proffered button on the warning screen to see details.
Following the attack site listing, here’s what I know and what I’ve done:
1) Upgraded to the latest version of WordPress on 8/22, on advice of my hosting company.
2) Upgraded my plugins, of which I use two, to the latest versions following the WP upgrade.
3) Requested a Google site review after WP & plugin upgrades. Google says as of 8/31, site still distributing malware.
4) When I logon to theninthouse.net/tnh using IE 7.0.5730.13, McAfee (resident on my computer) warns that the Trojan VBS/Psyme has been detected and cleaned. McAfee does not give a virus warning when I logon to the site in FireFox. I’m assuming VBS/Psyme is the malware that Google has detected, and that it’s designed to exploit IE.
5) I downloaded onto my local computer the folder into which WordPress is installed and ran a McAfee scan of it. It came back clean.
So, here’s where I’m at, and my questions:
1) Has anyone encountered this, and if so, how did you fix it?
2) Do I need to wipe and reinstall my entire database to fix this? If so, is there any way I can safely preserve the content and comments for the reinstall?
3) Is there a way to run a virus scan of my database, etc. on the server and get rid of this bugger?
I’ll stop here for now. Again, any assistance y’all can provide is very much appreciated. Thanks…
- The topic ‘Blog Listed As Attack Site — VBS/Psyme’ is closed to new replies.