After searching through at least 15 possible solutions to the famous blank screen, I have no more ideas but to ask for help here.
I get the blank screen (to be exact: blank screen with WordPress logo) when I'm performing the WP installation on my localhost PC (I want to setup the website on my PC first before going online).
I am using phpMyAdmin, on Win7 64bit PC. Here are the steps until I get the blank screen:
1. Create the database (let's say test) in phpMyAdmin.
2. Create a folder called test under C:\wamp\www\
3. Copy fresh version of wordpress under C:\wamp\www\test\blog\
4. Use IE or Google Chrome: http://localhost/test/blog/wp-admin/
5. Database name: test, Username: root, Password: blank
6. This works ok and creates the wp-config.php. The next screen then asks for my site name, username, password, email etc
7. I click install, in the browser it says "waiting for response from localhost" for about 20 seconds, then I get the blank page.
8. If I go in an look at what's created in my test database, no user is created, so I guess the installation gets stuck somewhere.
I tried also to turn the debugging on in the wp-config.php, but I could not find any debug.log file under the wp-content folder.
I also tried the following suggestions from other postings here, I had exactly the same problem after each of these:
Removed the space at the end of the wp-config.php file
Replaced localhost with 127.0.0.1 in the wp-config.php
Created a new user in MyphpAdmin and used these credentials instead of root to install WP
Installed a previous version of wordpress (2.9.2)
Checked if there is any .htaccess file - I couldn't find it
Any help is greatly appreciated! :)