I’ve got a site that’s been using Joomla since J first came on the scene. It’s currently running Joomla 1.5.23
I find that Joomla takes way too much of my time to maintain and it becomes a security risk because keeping the core and all the plug-ins, etc. up to date is tedious, to say the least. I’ve got numerous other sites on WP and just love it more and more with every new release. Needless to say, I want to drop Joomla and be solely on WP.
What I’ve done (and determined) so far
I’ve read the info at http://codex.wordpress.org/Importing_Content and the part specific to Joomla (it provides three links to variou import tools).
I’ve also read plenty on info on the forums here, and on other web sites.
I’ve determined that using one of the migration scripts it should be fairly easy to get the basic page content into WordPress, although there may be issues with formatting (requiring me to manually reformat posts) and their will definitely be issues with images and any content that relies (in Joomla) on plugins or modules, etc.
Here’s what I’d appreciate advice on
1) I’d like to make sure the images issue is as automated as possible, but not sure how to go about it.
2) Plug-in / module specific issues I don’t mind resolving manually. Shouldn’t be too many (he says with fingers crossed)
3) Here’s the big and important part that so far I’m not 100% sure how to go about doing:
– How do I ensure my site doesn’t end up generating loads of 404 errors?
– What is the best practice for migrating a site to a new system, taking into account the SEO permalinks from the old system which Google (etc.) have stored and ranked?
Currently my site is in domainname.com/site
This is because it was originally on some other system and back then I found that setting up Joomla in a new directory and then putting a message on the old site pages notifying users of the move, etc., was the easiest way to go about it.
I am thinking the new wordpress install will also need to end up in /site otherwise Google results will all generate 404s. Correct?
Anyway, the bottom line is that I’d appreciate hearing about how to go about handling what needs to happen AFTER the migration.
Can anyone suggest whether the methods outlined in these articles are the best way to go about it?
5) What happens to article comments? I am assuming they get lost in the process, unless I manually copy them all over? Is that correct?
What I’d like to create, after doing this successfully, is a guide that comprehensively spells out the steps needed to achieve a full and proper migration from Joomla 1.5.x to WordPress (including handling the potential issues with 404s, SEO migration, permalinks, etc.)
Any tips or suggestions on any points in the above would be greatly appreciated.
- The topic ‘Best practices for migration from Joomla to WordPress?’ is closed to new replies.