I have emailed the log because it contains email address, etc.
I had watched the log file; it hadn't updated for a while; I had received 9 'backup finished' emails already; the uploads file was not in GD when I submitted the report.
Strangely, the file did eventually appear in GD. That must be Google's fault that it wasn't available right away.
The last backup reported in WP admin is still Mon, December 31, 2012 20:19 UTC.
I think it comes down to timing. I got a bunch of emails saying it was done before it truly finished, it delete existing backup files on GD before the new ones are in place, and doesn't provide a status. These things are disconcerting.
I just changed the settings to backup automatically, and that initiated a backup. I set the db and files set to different schedules. I got one email when the db finished, but watching the log file, it got stuck at 30% on the uploads folder. The log file has not updated in the last 15 minutes.
I think incremental backups might solve some of this. It only has problems with the large file. That will have the added benefit of tempering the time spent synching GD down to the desktop.