[Resolved] Backup contains spurious charactes in posts data
When I restore a backup of my database, It inserts a load of squiggly characters surrounding certain characters in posts such as apostrophe, hyphen etc. It also adds in the character (A with a dot over it) here and there, for which I can see no pattern. This morning I spent an hour editing the posts in the DB directly!
Here’s an example: r\n\r\nItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s great to get home
That should read simply “It’s great to get home”
I restore by pasting the SQL dump directly into the SQL window in PhpMyAdmin as I do not have command line access.
It may be related to the settings I use in PhpMyAdmin to export the data. I export unzipped and check all of these options as I was advised to by an expert. (it’s a new blog)
. Add DROP TABLE
. Add IF NOT EXISTS
. Add AUTO_INCREMENT value
. Enclose table and field names with backquotes
. Complete inserts
. Extended inserts
. Use delayed inserts
. Use ignore inserts
. Use hexadecimal for binary fields
- The topic ‘[Resolved] Backup contains spurious charactes in posts data’ is closed to new replies.