I really gotta say, this is by far the best plugin's plugin I have ever found in WP. It made me finally register in this website (but honestly, because I needed to to write this ;).
I have been working with WP for a while now, using several different plugins.
I was seeking for a plugin that would allow me to place custom blocks inside frontend pages.
The thing is, sometimes the frontend pages need to be HTML code and in those cases, guys that don't even bother to check the code, turn on the WP Visual editor and screw up everything (imagine carousels and all other Twitter Bootstrap stuff being wiped out by a single edit).
So the goal is that when these guys click the edit page through the wp-admin, they actually only edit text/images parts without touching the page itself.
So that led me to Magic Fields... Pure Magic really, I still am astonished. But it also led me to the great disappointment that it was only intended for backend templates usage... Until I did a search inside the WP search.... MMmmm what's this toolkit all about?!..... HOLY...... BINGO! JACKPOT! HELL YEAH!
So I'm happy :)
To the DEVELOPER:
- You used PHP 5.4 arrays' syntax:  and since I'm working with WAMP (that uses PHP 5.3 - array() ) several syntax errors appeared in the files when I tried to activate the plugin. I replaced all the occurrences with 5.3 syntax and it works fine. I was wondering why no one has voted/commented in this yet... Maybe more people had the same issue.
- I suggest mentioning on your plugin's page that you need to access the settings page through the dashboard menu in order to activate all the features, I found it through the WP page FAQ (because when you activate the plugin, the settings link doesn't appear in the plugins page).
- About the shortcode syntax, if I want to build something like carousel(image slider) items repeatedly:
<div class="item"> <img src="img.jpg" alt="Img Alt" title="Img Title"> <div class="carousel-caption"> <h2>Img Title</h2> <p>Img Description</p> </div> </div>
I need to copy and paste all these 5 shortcodes times the number of images the carousel has, like this:
<!--First--> [show_custom_field field=carousel_image<1,1> before="<div class='item'><img src='" post_id=468] [show_custom_field field=carousel_title<1,1> before="' alt='" post_id=468] [show_custom_field field=carousel_title<1,1> before="' title='" after="'><div class='carousel-caption'><h2>" post_id=468] [show_custom_field field=carousel_title<1,1> after="</h2>" post_id=468] [show_custom_field field=carousel_description<1,1> before=<p> after=</p></div></div> post_id=468] <!--Second--> [show_custom_field field=carousel_image<1,2> before="<div class='item'><img src='" post_id=468] [show_custom_field field=carousel_title<1,2> before="' alt='" post_id=468] [show_custom_field field=carousel_title<1,2> before="' title='" after="'><div class='carousel-caption'><h2>" post_id=468] [show_custom_field field=carousel_title<1,2> after="</h2>" post_id=468] [show_custom_field field=carousel_description<1,2> before=<p> after=</p></div></div> post_id=468] <!--etc...-->
I'm using the post_id because it's outside the_loop. But it would be SPECTACULAR if I could use just one shortcode like this:
[show_custom_field before="<div class='item'><img src='" field=carousel_image<1,*> before="' alt='<!--$content-->' title='<!--$content-->'><div class='carousel-caption'><h2>" field=carousel_title<1,*> after=</h2> before=<p> field=carousel_description<1,*> after=</p></div></div> post_id=468]
Do you get it? Since you support invoking all group fields with GROUPNAME_*<i,*> why not supporting specific fields in specific positions inside one shortcode? And last but not least, reusing the field's content (<!--$content--> similar to your <!--$F/field--> label/slug) for images titles and alts. It generates an awesome loop.
- I haven't found where the search feature was placed in the dashboard (from your documentation), can you detail where to access this?
- The remove feature is fundamental IMO, but I noticed the thumbnails in the cache folder still remain in there after removing the image through the delete checked button. Also it would be a good reminder to mention in the documentation that the "image_media" field type does not place the files in the files_mf folder, so the only that affects it is "image" field type. For the interface itself of the remover, maybe http://jqueryui.com/accordion/ may help!
- Have you considered talking to the MF guys in order to work directly on the plugin? I believe you all could boost up the plugin to an unsurpassable level. And you made your point clear, documentation is essential for this and they need documentation, specially in English. It would also be very helpful to understand your code better (commenting helps ;)
Great Job! Really! Thank you for this awesome work! :D