Support » How-To and Troubleshooting » Automatic upgrade from 2.8.3 to 2.8.4 failed – no errors given

Automatic upgrade from 2.8.3 to 2.8.4 failed – no errors given

  • Hello,

    I have recently been having lots of problems with upgrading my wordpress install… ever since 2.8.1 or so, i have been unable to run the automatic install, and deleting all my files while trying to remember which ones i’ve edited and also while leaving all the uploads in place etc… is really not easy for me, whereas the automatic upgrade (when it worked) was absolutely perfect!

    So… when i run the upgrade, all i get is “Upgrade failed”. There are no other errors.

    Does anyone know what i can do to troubleshoot this further? I’ve tried renaming the wp-content/upgrade folder to something else and that made no difference.

    Other automatic upgrades (on themes & plugins) work perfectly.

    Thanks in advance people! I hope you can help!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • esmi


    Forum Moderator

    Did you deactivate all plugins before trying the automatic upgrade?

    not the first time, but i did disable all plugins, and themes(!) before attempting any other upgrades. They all failed in the same way.

    anyone got any advice?

    Here are some of the things I have found that prevent automatic upgrades:

    1.Make sure you check your upgrade file directory in your WP installation. Sometimes a previous upgrade will still be in the upgrade directory. (left behind for some reason) If it is, it will stop new upgrades. You need to delete all the files of previous upgrades from your UPGRADE directory. The upgrade dir is a sub folder in your /wp-content/ folder.

    2.Sometimes I find if I run a repair or optimize on my data base, it solves the automatic upgrade issue. You can do this through your HOST Cpanel using PhPmyAdmin. For help with PhPmyAdmin, do a Google search.

    3. If the 1st two don’t solve your problem, then start deactivating plug-ins. There is a good possibility that one of them is interferring with the upgrade.

    Good luck

    Thanks again, but still no luck…

    1. My “wp-content/upgrade” directory was completely empty.

    2. I optimized all database tables. I did not repair as none of them should need repairing. I am already familiar with phpMyAdmin – use it a lot.

    3. All plugins deactivated.

    I then ran an automatic upgrade – all it said was “Installation Failed”.

    Any other ideas??

    can anyone help at all? there must be *something* fixable here, surely…

    About all I can think of at this point is a file permission issue, but I’m assuming you’ve already checked that and you mentioned other upgrades have worked.

    I’m guessing all that’s left is a manual upgrade

    PS I would try a repair on the data base…as I’ve found that a repair works more than optimizing even though it appears there is nothing wrong with the data base.

    anybody? i really need help here if possible… surely my automatic upgrade feature isn’t broken for the rest of time, is it?

    I hope someone can help, or this is going to be a depressing road of manual updates for ever more, otherwise!

    Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to offer further assistance!

    Did you receive any error message in your web site error logs? Also ask your host in case if they have changed any configuration on the server.

    Thank you very much for your response – it is greatly appreciated! 🙂

    There are no errors in the logs and the web host has apparently not changed the servers at all…

    The first upgrade that failed (after 3 or 4 successful ones) was from 2.8.1 to 2.8.2 i think. I had to do that one manually. I then did the 2.8.2 to 2.8.3 upgrade manually as well because it also failed, and now the 2.8.3 to 2.8.4 upgrade is also failing.

    I don’t know if the above info is relevant, but it might be…

    Hope there’s something else to try!

    Sorry to keep asking this, but does anyone have any other ideas on how to get my automatic upgrade working again??

    Anyone at all?

    someone help… please! there *has* to be a way to upgrade wordpress automatically again – i can’t keep doing this manually for the rest of time (unless the upgrade method becomes significantly simpler)…


    It has been 2 days. I am not sure if the problem persists.

    Anyway for the sake of others who may be straddled with similar auto-upgrade problems, I am narrating my own experience.

    The auto-upgrade was smooth in all but one of my WP installations, even without deactivating plugins.

    The one that played truant was very adamant even after trying all the known fixes. Finally I replaced the existing “class-wp-upgrader.php” file in wp-admin/includes directory with the one downloaded from here:


    And it worked!

    This was learnt from the experience of one “lujcas” who had commented at this web page.


    Yeah that fixes the problem – that’s my website btw, thanks for linking to it! 🙂

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Automatic upgrade from 2.8.3 to 2.8.4 failed – no errors given’ is closed to new replies.