Support » Fixing WordPress » Auto update is not finishing

  • Hello,

    I’m having a problem with the auto update function in the back office of WordPress.

    What am i doing?
    1)First i am clicking on the AUTO UPDATE link from the pplugin which has an upgrade available.
    2)Then i fill in my FTP credentials and go for the auto update.
    3) Now i get the following text and it stay forever….

    Download update from http: //downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/BLABLABLABLABLA.zip
    Extract update…

    So it gets stuck at ‘Extract update’.
    When i am going to the server i can see the complete plugin-folder is downloaded (because it is inside the WP-CONTENT\UPGRADE folder), so that part looks good.

    I think the problem is with extracting / unzipping the .zip file OR maybe it has something to do with the server setup.
    Looking around on internet didn’t solve my problem, so i hope someone is able to help me solving this issue.

    DJJackass

    Update1:
    Inside php.ini which can be found in the PHP folder I tried to increase ‘memory_limit = 128M’ to ‘memory_limit = 256M’
    That didn’t solved my problem so i put it back to ‘memory_limit = 128M’

    Update2:
    I am running PHP 5.3.13

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Update 3:
    I tried to put
    php_value memory_limit 64M
    inside .htaccess, that didn’t changed anything
    Also tried to put
    php_value memory_limit 128M
    inside .htaccess, that also din’t changed anything.

    (When you are not able to find .htaccess then you have to make sure your system shows al files. Normally .htaccess is hidden)

    Still have the same issue so i deleted the
    php_value memory_limit
    line out of .htaccess and saved it again.

    Update 4:
    I tried to put…..
    if ( !defined(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’) )
    define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘64M’);
    inside wp-settings.php but that didn’t changed anything so i deleted that part of code again.

    Have you tried examining your server’s error logs to see if you can find out why the zips aren’t being extracted? Have you tried contacting your hosts about this?

    @esmi:

    Q: Have you tried examining your server’s error logs to see if you can find out why the zips aren’t being extracted?
    A: There is nothing to see in the error log according the time i tried to update the plugin. Perhaps there is some other logging running which helps?

    Q: Have you tried contacting your hosts about this?
    A: I am having a self hosted website 🙂

    Other possible solutions?

    You’re running your own server?

    @esmi
    Q You’re running your own server?
    A Yes i am running my own server…

    I think it is a problem due to my own hosting settings…I have found a solution for the problem:

    First i went to php.ini and searched for ‘display_errors’
    display_errors = Off
    I changed Off to On so i get
    display_errors = On

    Save the file!

    Then you have to restart your apache server. Don’t forget this step!

    Then try installing the upgrade again by using Auto Update… probably it is not working, but at least now you get an error message!!

    My error message was “Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in ….”.

    Now i went to the same php.ini file again and searched for 2 settings
    1)
    max_execution_time = 30
    Change this value to 60 or 120… then you’ll get..
    max_execution_time = 120

    2)
    max_input_time = 60
    Change this value to 90 or 120… then you’ll get..
    max_input_time = 120

    Save the file (and upload it back to your server (if you downloaded it). And don’t forget to restart APACHE-server again.

    Then try the auto update function again… probably it works like a charm now.

    Have fun!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Auto update is not finishing’ is closed to new replies.