[Resolved] author contact info not displaying,displaying incorrectly.
I LOVE this plug-in. However, in the past few weeks I have encountered the following problems with it:
1. All of the contact information for a specific user is not showing in the author box. For example, each of my authors has a website and twitter handle. Those details are included in the user profiles. Most of these details are no longer showing up in the author box.
2. I entered the twitter handle as directed by the plugin (http://twitter.com/userhandle). However, the link that appears in the author box is: twitter.com/http://twitter.com/userhandle.
Here are the details about my installation:
1. I am using a self-hosted version of Word Press. The site has multiple authors.
2. I am using version .1 of the Path theme. It is a free theme.This theme is built using the Hybrid Core framework.
3. I am using version 3.0 of WP Biographia.
The author box was working properly until 2-3 weeks ago.
Any help is appreciated.
Version 3.0 of WP Biographia is quite old now; it was released in April of 2011 (see http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-biographia/changelog/). I’d first try updating to the latest, v3.3.1, version and see if that makes a difference. If it does, great. If not, please let me know and I can dig into this a bit deeper.
I was mistaken. I do have version 3.3.1 installed.
When I entered the user’s twitter information I received the following message:There is a problem with 1 of this user’s contact links!The Twitter URL doesn’t look right; it should look something like http://twitter.com/K. Leah Veal. When I entered the twitter information as suggested the link that appears in the author box is: twitter.com/http://twitter.com/userhandle. I entered just the twitter handle and saved the user information and the link now displays properly in the author box although I still receive the error message mentioned above.
One last thing: Links to the other user contact information (websites, youtube channels, etc) no longer appear in the author box. Before I installed the latest update the links and their icons were displayed in the author box.
Thanks for the quick response and your help.
Just putting in your Twitter id, for example
vicchi, shouldn’t give a working, fully formed URL for the Twitter link in the Biography Box. WP Biographia passes the contents of each social media link through as is, so you’d need something like
http://twitter.com/vicchifor this to work with the plugin.
Which makes me think that you have another plugin installed and active on your site which is modifying the
user_contactmethodsfilter that WP Biographia (and WordPress) uses to hold the contact URLs as part of a user’s profile. I’ve come across a similar (but not exactly identical) problem in the past and it was caused by an SEO plugin modifying and overwriting this filter after the WP Biographia code had run.
I’d recommend that you disable all plugins on your site and after correcting your profile’s Twitter URL to be fully formed, check that WP Biographia is working as it should be. If it isn’t, please let me know.
But if it is, then that strongly suggests that WP Biographia and another plugin aren’t playing well together, which is always a possibility with WordPress. In this case, go through your plugins, one by one, re-enabling each one and refreshing your browser on a page on your site which has the Biography Box displayed. That way you should be able to track down precisely which plugin (or plugins) are the root of this. Once you’ve determined which plugin is causing the problem, I can then take a look at that plugin and see whether I can make them play nicely together or whether I’ll need to make some changes in WP Biographia’s code base to cope with this.
I followed your suggestion and disabled all other plugins. That seemed to remedy the problem. I was using the WordPress SEO plugin by Joost de Valk. Could that be the source of the problem?
Ah! A “light bulb” moment. There was an odd interaction between the links that WP Biographia produces and the WordPress SEO plugin around 4 months ago. See this thread on the forums for context – http://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-wp-biographia-more-posts-link-goes-to-homepage?replies=13.
Admittedly, this was affecting the author archive page (see FAQ #16 – http://www.vicchi.org/codeage/wp-biographia/3-frequently-asked-questions/#faq16) and the default installation settings for WordPress SEO doesn’t have this effect on my local test installation (I’ve just tried it).
So what settings do you have for the WordPress SEO plugin? I’ll try and duplicate your SEO environment on my local site and see if I can track down precisely which setting or settings are causing this problem for you.
It would also help if you could re-enable WordPress SEO and post a link to your site that’s publicly accessible so I can take a look at it as well.
Haven’t heard back in a week on this so I’m assuming you’ve sorted the problem and I’m marking this thread as resolved; feel free to reopen it if that’s not the case.
I am using social author bio plugin but after editing all of the fields the box does not show up on the website. I have checked the other plugins but it doesn’t show up.
@ noahmitchellenterprise.com – Please open a new support thread – this one is resolved and not related to the social author bio plugin – and also take a look at the sticky thread on the plugin’s forums … I’ll need a bit more information to help you.
- The topic ‘[Resolved] author contact info not displaying,displaying incorrectly.’ is closed to new replies.