First let me say Ask Apache Password Protect (AA Pass Pro) is useful (understatement) and works well. However, I upgraded to the exciting-looking version 4.5 and several tests show a red square.
Two (perhaps obvious) questions:
- Does a red square mean the test failed?
- Are all red squares show-stoppers?
Before I describe the tests I should point out that I’ve installed WordPress in a subdirectory but its index.php is in the site’s root directory. AA Pass Pro 4.5 creates a wp_admin directory in the site’s root directory — maybe because its confused about the installation. The WordPress Settings page knows what’s going on.
The first failure confused me. It showed the same .htaccess path twice and said the first instance failed and the second instance passed — like this:
- red /wp-admin/.htaccess file writable
- green /wp-admin/.htaccess file writable
I also got the ‘major bummer’ error: mod_auth_digest. Do I need to try to get hostmonster to enable that module?
I also got errors on:
- Basic Authentication Attempt using Crypt Encryption
- Basic Authentication Attempt using MD5 Encryption
- Basic Authentication Attempt using SHA1 Encryption
Are they show stoppers?
I also got some yellow squares…
Finally, AA Pass Pro advises me to set AA_PP_DEBUG to true to see more information. A quick glance at the code revealed that AA Pass Pro already sets AA_PP_DEBUG to 1 but I don’t seem to get any useful diagnostic information — just some array listings that don’t make much sense to me.
Thanks and all the best,
- The topic ‘Ask Apache Password Protect’ is closed to new replies.