Hi! Right, brace yourselves. This is going to be a long post.
So I’m having the same problem that so many others have had. When I try to post a comment I am directed to a blank wp-comments-post.php page. Looking through Firebug reveals that no html or css is present. This happens every time whether I am logged in or not, and the comment never goes through. If I switch to a default theme, everything works fine, leading me to believe that there is a problem with my theme. Here’s where I started:
1) WordPress Theme Tutorial. It’s an excellent, comprehensive tutorial for a newb like me. I followed it to the tee, got my blog sort of working, then spent awhile mastering the style sheet. By the way, my test installation is at this address: http://www.gutenbergday.org/blog_0101.
Now, however, the only thing not working that I really must have is comment posting. This is what I have tried:
2) This post identified a problem with this line of code missing:
<?php comment_id_fields(); ?>
That, however, is clearly present in my comments.php file.
3) I tried the phpMYadmin fix too. The table was successfully repaired or checked out ok, but nothing has changed.
4) Some have had problems with Akismet. The plug-in is not and has never been activated on my blog as far as I know. It is installed, but not running.
5) One person teetered on the verge of a mental breakdown over this line of code:
<input type="hidden" name="comment_post_ID" value="<?php echo $id; ?>" />
That, it turns out, is exactly how the line looks in my comments.php. So I tried her other two alternatives:
<input type="hidden" name="comment_post_ID" value="<?php the_ID(); ?>" />
<input type="hidden" name="comment_post_ID" value="<?php echo $post->ID; ?>" />
…success was met with neither.
6) I removed white space at the bottom of wp-comments-post.php has per this post to no avail.
7) I tried replacing my comments.php with this one as well as with the comments.php included with the two default themes. Nada.
8) I also tried making a completely separate, fresh install and dropping in the theme I had developed. Fail to the power of 8.
So. Where should I go next? Any thoughts? No idea is too hair-brained or outrageous for me to consider.
- The topic ‘Another blank wp-comments-post.php problem…’ is closed to new replies.