The plugin finally did exactly what I wanted. The only drawback was if another post type on the imported site had used the id of the product from the export file for another post type, the import process wasn’t smart enough to let MySQL create a new unique ID for post type of the new product. The simplest way I found of importing my new products was to remove the ID entirely from the new products in the csv export file and let WP generate a new unique ID upon import. In our use case, we only use WooCommerce as a product catalog and not for e-commerce. I saw no drawbacks to this approach although I am just an everyday user and not a developer or SQL expert. 🙂 If there are drawbacks to this workaround, please let me know.
I also ran into one caveat that I guess is not exactly an issue with the plugin but possibly should be documented or errored out. After my first attempt testing the plugin, I realized I had no images and no errors. I realized the issue was the import file contain the image URL to my staging site on WPEngine which was locked out at the server level. In order to get the images over, it was just a simple matter of unlocking the staging site.
I will definitely use this plugin again and wish I could have given it a 5. I would easily give it a 4.5 but that isn’t possible. 🙂
PS: If I missed something or you come up with an automated way around the conflicting ID from another post type on the imported site, I would gladly give the plugin a solid 5.
- The topic ‘Almost a five – So close’ is closed to new replies.