Support » Plugin: Memphis Documents Library » After Migration – “Memphis Documents Error”

  • Resolved Alison

    (@alsnd12)


    I migrated from one sub domain to a dedicated IP address, changed all references in the entire WordPress database manually from the subdomain url to the new IP url but every document is now not found when I try to download it. The files are on the server and they list out the title in the list on the front-end, but they are still not found.

    “Memphis Documents Error: [filename] was not found, please contact the owner for assistance.”

    I did not use the migration feature in the plugin since it was not functioning for me (seemed to just hang and never export anything, even after checking ‘having difficulties’). I migrated from one server to another manually.

    I will be migrating to another server again, with a new URL, when we deploy to production.

    Am I missing something in the migration process as to why these documents aren’t being found?

    Thanks for the help!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Plugin Author bhaldie

    (@bhaldie)

    Yeah the problem is mDocs relies on the post id of each mDocs file. So you can’t just copy the old mdocs files to a new site because the post id will be different.

    I would recommend trying the export again it can take a long time if you have lots of files.

    If that doesn’t work your only other option is batch upload.

    Why would the post ID’s be different if the database was exported/imported via phpmyadmin? Virtually no post IDs should be different at all.

    Regarding the export: I’ve waited hours and it’s not exporting, so I suspect something might be timing out on the server-side end, but I can’t be certain. I will look at the error logs to determine if anything is going on, otherwise, do you have any other pointers as why it’s not exporting?

    Thank you!

    Plugin Author bhaldie

    (@bhaldie)

    you are right they shouldn’t be, an easy way to tell is to open a mdocs post pages editor the url of the editor should contain the id of the post.

    Then go back to mDocs and click on a file and choose the share link.

    The value at the end of that url should match the one from the editor.

    OK I verified the ID matches and started hunting down some of the file names and paths. Come to find out, it was NOT all the documents, only some of them and after looking further these files simply weren’t on the server. Something happened during the upload. The title was retained, it cut a row in the database, but the file didn’t make it to the server. Fixed the issue and now we’re rolling again.

    Exporting from phpmyadmin was indeed the best move, we just had some anomalies. I never did look into the export through the plugin.

    Thank you for troubleshooting with me! You were a big help! 5 out of 5 stars on helpfulness and responsiveness! Thank you!

    Plugin Author bhaldie

    (@bhaldie)

    Glad you figured it out :). I will take a look at the export tool again and see what can be done to make it more efficient.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘After Migration – “Memphis Documents Error”’ is closed to new replies.