[Resolved] Advice on testing live before allowing public to see website
I have been developing a site on localhost, wampserver, and I’m ready to take it to the next step. I don’t want to go live, but I want to upload my site so I can show a couple of colleagues. I’d appreciate some feedback on my options, and answers to a few questions.
1. In the Reading Settings there’s a check box for Search Engine Visibility; Discourage search engines from indexing this site. Do search engines generally respect this? Would this be a way post the site, show it to colleagues, then tick the box to show it to the world later?
2. How about using a subdomain for this purpose? I have an old site I don’t use anymore. Could I create a subdomain there and keep it hidden, but be able to give the address to a select few, then migrate later?
3. Are there best practices on this? What do developers usually do?
4. Are there some free or low cost development environments that could serve the same purpose?
I would appreciate links to any resources you might have found helpful, as well as opinions. Thanks for you input.
- The topic ‘[Resolved] Advice on testing live before allowing public to see website’ is closed to new replies.