Support » Networking WordPress » Added new site to already existent Multisite – not working

  • Resolved rj_inthe412


    OK I have a bit of a weird problem and im sure its my own stupidity,

    I have a multisite setup already, as I had two sites up and running all good in the hood. I wanted to delete the non-original site and get a new secondary one, just start from scratch.

    I have the subdomain setup on my hosting site, setup the new site on wordpress, its showing up under Network Admin, BUT when I try to go to the new sites dashboard I just get an error [Oops! Google Chrome could not find etc et]

    I already deleted the old second site so I cant look back at its setting and see if I missed something.

    Hopefully im just missing a simple step. Not sure what to post here that would help try to decipher this. Everything Im reading is either solved without explaining how or just generic how to start using multisite.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • I just went thru this and im trying to remember here, i know that if you delete the old site and do not correct the links in admin it will either show a blank page or you will get an error.

    I think what you want is under the super admin go to sites, then on that site list click edit on the site you want to edit. And then
    you will see

    Update siteurl and home as well

    There is a checkbox there, click that click save, that should update the url for you.

    Im new to this as well but that is what i had to do.

    BUT when I try to go to the new sites dashboard I just get an error [Oops! Google Chrome could not find etc et]

    What’s the full error? It matters 🙂

    That is what I’m trying to get to from my network sites page. First it was just giving me a 404 Error now I can see the header say 404 but then it snaps to this placeholder page that I didn’t setup and that I’ve never seen before. If I go to just it goes to the placeholder I had for the old site.

    Here are my htaccess file from Network Setup if this helps.

    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    # uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^files/(.+) homepages/27/d206792272/htdocs/ronaldjschmidt/wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]
    # add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) homepages/27/d206792272/htdocs/ronaldjschmidt/$1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ homepages/27/d206792272/htdocs/ronaldjschmidt/$1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

    I hate to give you all these to watch but it is how i leaned and they got me thru it. They are not that long and it might answer your question. Im just trying to help here is all.

    These are what i watched while i was doing this..
    config file
    allow wildcard only need this if you choose sub domain option (not for sub folder)

    domain mapping plugin

    this next one was the most helpful after i set it up

    move existing blog to master install MU

    Take a few min and check these out, they helped me.

    oh and you may or may not need the domain mapping plugin so dont worry about those two vids until you do everything else and check it out.

    durangod – you’re not helping that much when you just slap a lot of URLs at people. Try addressing the specific problem with specific answers for that problem.

    In the case, the magic of view-source tells me what we need to know:

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    	<title>Error 404 - Not found</title>
    	<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
    	<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src=""></script>
    		<script type="text/javascript">
    			var reg = '1und1parking4';
    			document.write( '<scr'+'ipt type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript"' + 'src="' + + '/' + reg + '/park.js">' + '<\/scr' + 'ipt>' );

    That tells me your subdomains aren’t set up correctly, as they’re pointing to parking locations, and NOT your domain. similarly gives me a very NON WordPress page.

    So the problem is how you set up your subdomains. Did you make sure to point that to where is installed, and NOT it’s own folder?

    sorry i didnt mean to make it worse, one of those vids shows how to set up the domain properly so i thought since maybe he didnt do something right he might want to watch someone do it on vid. Again sorry about that.

    The intent was there 🙂 The problem with those videos though is that they’re generic by nature, and a lot of these problems express themselves in diverse ways :/

    ALL GOOD!! Thanks Ipstenu, thats what I was. I remembered to set up the subdomain on with my host but didnt point it to the right directory, was one level too high.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Added new site to already existent Multisite – not working’ is closed to new replies.