Alexander and Martyr13,
The reason for my original question was not merely to resolve a specific design problem. I was also pointing out that I could find no documentation that explains how create a site that looks exactly like the screen shot accompanying the theme. I never really got an adequate answer to either question: existence of documentation, or explanation of how to do it. Meanwhile, I figured it out for myself. Don't know if this is the "correct" method, but it worked for me.
If I get feedback that this works for someone else, then I will designate the thread as resolved.
To create the slider:
1. Select the images that you want to use. Images should all be the same dimensions, and the width should be at least the width of your site.
2. Create a post for each image, add one image to each post, and designate that image as the Featured Image for the post.
3. Set the post visibility to Public and Sticky and save and publish the post.
4. Under Appearance / Theme Options / General / Home Page / Sticky Posts Slider : be sure to check "Display a slider of sticky posts on the front page"
To create the three boxes under the slider:
1. Under Appearance / Theme Options / Layout : set Content Columns to 3
2. Create a new category and called it "Portfolio"
3. Under Appearance / Theme Options / General / Home Page / Exclude Portfolio : check "Exclude Portfolio Category from main loop". Directly under that, select "Portfolio" as your Portfolio Category.
4. Assign the "Portfolio" category to EVERY post in your site EXCEPT the three that you want to show up in the boxes under the slider.
5. To get a nice symmetrical design for the 3 posts that will appear in the boxes, be sure you have a Featured Image, and the images all have the same dimensions.
Well, the above works for me. If it works for you, let me know.
Here's my site: