Able Player is a must for a11y work with video content
We recently competed in an accessibility awareness competition to build a non-profit website. The platform was not a requirement but a recommendation. Our team all swears by WordPress.
One criterion for extra credit in the event was to display accessible audio and video instances and our team lead had heard of the Able Player.
I enjoyed testing, implementing, and seeing the tool in action. Being an intermediate to advanced user, I was able to set up the shortcode using YouTube identifying info and embedded it on our website.
I enjoyed how the features of the plug-in:
* Displays the transcript of the video as an optional pop out which is a very nice touch;
* Controls provide clear info for user captions;
* Rabbit and turtle icons to speed up or slow down playback;
* Fullscreen, audio, and settings button with the later allowing for controlling caption display
My only critique (which could easily bump the plugin up to 5 stars) would be that for ease of use or considering basic WordPress users will struggle to identify the YouTube information to plug into the shortcode. Making this an input field where you could simply paste a URL would be a big UX/user benefitting ease of use and adoption.
Keep up this important work.
- The topic ‘Able Player is a must for a11y work with video content’ is closed to new replies.