A modified version of the kses filter is available at Sourceforge.net -- http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1752954&group_id=81853&atid=564260
WordPress developers should think of using that code.
Bug-fixes (compared to oirignal kses 0.2.2):
* Lone < characters are taken care of
* Takes care of single-tag elements like img and br that do not have a space before their closing tag (e.g., <hr/>)
* Output is more XHTML standard-compliant. E.g., attributes are declared only once, tags and attributes are lowercased, check for named XHTML entities, etc.
* Inline styling is now possible. Earlier, CSS declarations like background-color: yellow were removed because of the so-called 'colon bug.'
* Option to balance tags for well-formedness of (X)HTML
* Option to 'entitify' unallowed tags instead of removing them. The original kses always strips them.
(A test.php script is in the download and it shows many test-results.)