[Resolved] A Few Suggestions
I’d been waiting to try this plugin for a while and finally got the chance. A few things caught me off guard and so I thought I’d just pass on what I had expected to happen:
- I was surprised that the date of posts was a link. I ended up using CSS to try to hide that fact, but that’s far from optimal.
<div>containing excerpt is displayed even when “Do not show any text” selected. It’s unnecessary markup and could get in the way of wanting to do certain types of styling.
- I understand the rationale for not showing categories with 0 posts in the “Category” drop down, but it meant I had to publish a fake post to select it while setting up a widget.
Overall, it’s a nice plugin though. Thanks.
Thanks for your report: I really appreciate this. 🙂
Your suggestions will be implemented in the next release.
Anyway, could you tell me more about the last note? Why the widget panel should show the categories with 0 posts?
Glad you find it useful. Here’s the use case that led me to the suggestions.
- I make sites for other people. They are often in charge of content. In this case, we’re adding a widget on a new front page that will contain “Policy Updates.”
- We’re handling those policy updates as posts in a “Policy Update” category. We want to display the three most recent updates on the home page with the Posts in Sidebar widget.
- In building the home page, I want the client to be able to sit down and instantly have everything work. I wanted to send them instructions saying “Add a post and assign it to the ‘Policy Updates’ category.”
- To do that, I planned on making the Policy Updates category and then setting up the widget. This is where I had to go through the extra step of creating a fake post in the policy update category, setting up the widget, and then deleting the fake post so they wouldn’t get confused (That’s roughly ~10 extra clicks depending on how you count them). If they had an active blog, I couldn’t have even done that on the live site.
Does that make sense?
All the patches have been applied.
In a few days I’ll commit the changes.
Glad you thought they were worthwhile 🙂
If anything looks weird when I update, I’ll get right back to you.
- The topic ‘[Resolved] A Few Suggestions’ is closed to new replies.