Great questions and thank you for your interested in the technology!
Yes, the BuddyPress should just work
> Is it possible to move my whole site to AWS
There are several deployment options. You can move the site hosting (compute) to Amazon AWS and site data (storage) to Amazon S3. Or you can choose to only migrate the content of your site to Amazon S3 while continuing to host the site wherever you host it today. Alternatively you can decide to only store your media files at the cloud storage.
> current host
Let’s see if I understood your question correctly.
Typically in many WordPress installations the webserver also performs the role of a database server. If you’d like to rely on AWS compute services to run your webserver, you may consider use our ready-to-run WordPress-on-S3 AMI, which essentially contains the preinstalled up-to-date stack + WP2Cloud components + admin tools.
If you expect to launch a tier of webservers with WordPress connecting to the database server with MySQL+ClouSE, you can use our MySQL-on-S3 AMI as your database server.
> Webmin and phpMyAdmin
You are absolutely right. After helping many customers install these tools on their sites, we decided to simplify site management by shipping them preinstalled and ready to use.
We have not finalized the pricing policies for the GA build of ClouSE. However the price is going to be comparable with what customers pay for the backup software today. Please contact us for more details.
Thanks for asking. We are finalizing the release of a new fairly substantial block of functionality in ClouSE - Point-in-time recovery.
We've declared "no more backups" strategy earlier and now we've completed it by offering data protection natively by the database. PIT recovery would allow a DBA to revert the database to any transaction within the user-specified data retention period. Data retention is going to be on by default, providing proactive data protection that safeguards the user from any accidental or malicious data mismanagement.
Since with WordPress-to-Cloud the whole WordPress site is stored in the cloud, WordPress becomes truly backup-less.
>What is the easiest way to restore the site once it is running on AWS
Whenever you make changes to the software on your site (e.g. install new plugin or change passwords), make sure to snapshot it. That’ll be your “golden” website image (AMI). Hopefully you also keep you private keys to access your AMI stored somewhere safe.
Once you do that, you can relax as you don’t need to worry about backing up your site’s content. The site content is stored in a highly durable (Amazon S3 is 12 9s) cloud storage, so your data is safe at all times.
- If you were to lose the site EC2 instance, just spin up another one off your “golden” AMI.
- In case of the data mismanagement (e.g. db admin called “drop table” on a wrong table or a hacker did) you’ll be able to go to any particular point in time that is within the retention period.
ClouSE acts as a database gateway for cloud storage. It combines the best of local and cloud storage by delivering performance and security of local storage, plus all the benefits that are unique to the cloud storage – such as high durability, high availability, high reliability, scale, infinite capacity, and storage elasticity.
As a result WordPress-to-Cloud solution gives a facelift to WordPress by removing many roadblocks on the way of scalability, reliability, availability and manageability:
- Scalability: We made WordPress stateless. Media is stored on cloud storage, not on the web tier file system. This makes it possible to auto-scale and auto-balance WordPress web tiers.
- Reliability: Cloud storage acts as a single master thus eliminating the need in replication on the database level. This also increased availability of the data.
- Availability: Data no longer needs to follow the webserver as cloud storage is available from anywhere. WordPress-to-Cloud webserver can run on premise, at any hoster or IaaS provider. You can even host your website at Google Cloud Storage but your data in Amazon S3 or vice versa. Never before had you these choices.
- Manageability: By consolidating both website content and media on the cloud storage it allows to take full advantage of cloud storage. E.g. by storing site content on the highly durable cloud storage the website no longer needs a backup.
You asked excellent questions, thank you.
Please try our product out and we’ll be happy to address any additional feedback or questions you might have.