WordPress.org

Support

Support » How-To and Troubleshooting » [Resolved] 99% of website dies every other day – permalinks

[Resolved] 99% of website dies every other day – permalinks

• I’m having serious problems with my website. Every 1 or 2 days 99% of my website dies completely, EXCEPT for my index page (home page). As soon as I click on any link to any of my other pages/sections (i.e. Photos, Audio, About, etc) I get a ‘404’ error page. I was told by my hosting company that there was a problem with the ‘permalinks’ (Settings > Permalinks). That I needed to reset them. To go to that section and just press “Save Changes” again (even if no changes were made) and that would take care of the problem. I did and that took care of the problem….. temporarily. But then the day after of two days after I have the same problem. I have to log on to my W.P. account and reset the permalinks AGAIN. For the last weeks I’ve had to do this at least 5 times. So any given moment someone will visit my site and go “oh, this is all dead”. Not very cool 🙁

Is it my WP account, my hosting company? Help please!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Weird.

I would try this:

1) Change your password and make sure there nobody else with access to the site
    2) Make you root .htaccess file unwritable (chmod to 444)

Thank you! I’ll try that and reply back in a few days. THANKS!

-Try resetting your custom permalinks back to the default setting and renaming your WordPress .htaccess file. If that works, then try reading Using_Permalinks before setting a custom permalink structure again.

Problem solved. Dreamhost detected the problem and sent me an e-mail notifying me they had disabled the…….. something I did not understand.
    Also recommended I looked for any weird files on my website that I had not uploaded. I found 2 and when I tried to copy them to my desktop as a test, the antivirus went bananas, so I deleted them and also changed all the passwords.

Thank you guys for the tips 🙂

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘[Resolved] 99% of website dies every other day – permalinks’ is closed to new replies.