Support » Fixing WordPress » 800 members deleted – Help!

• Resolved ebiznet

(@ebiznet)

Overnight, something seems to have happened to my site and I noticed that now more than 800 members have been deleted from my main site, which is a mutlti-site. However, these deleted members are still members of two other sites within the multi-site.

I did not change anything on the site and it does not appear to have been hacked into, as far as I know or can tell.

So I wonder what happened and how can I recover from this? Is there a way to see a log of what has happened on my site over the past few days?

Is there a way to see a list of deleted members and restore them quickly?

I hope someone can help here. Thank you in advance for any help rendered.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Hey there.

You could check your servers access logs, ask your host about that.

As for restoring them, don’t you maintain a backup of your site?

If you don’t then really you should start. Mika made an awesome plugin I often recommend people to:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/join-my-multisite/

Not exactly what you want but it will mean that when they visit the site and are registered on the network then they will get re-registered for you.

Would that work?

You need to look into this further though, people don’t just get removed so something occurred to change this. If you’re sure you were not hacked then you need to start looking a the plugins and themes you use along with who has access to make those kinds of changes.

If you’re not sure about getting hacked then check your files to ensure they’re default and nothing custom was changed or uploaded. You might like to take a look at Sucuri:

http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/

Take care.

ebiznet

(@ebiznet)

Hi Timothy

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my post.

I do have a site back up but it is 2 months old, 17 May 2014. How do I restore the deleted members? I am not familiar with MySql and I don’t know how to use line commands. If you have some pointers for me to restore the deleted members so no (or not much) data since May 17 is lost, I would greatly appreciate it!

I see you are a support staff at WPMU; I am a member there and have posted this same question there as I was desperate for some help. The thread is at http://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/overnight-something-seems-to-have-happened-to-my-site.

Thanks again! 🙂

Hey there.

I see that Jack is on your ticket over there and has offered to take a closer look for you.

I didn’t realise before that you’re also using SimplePress.

Using the plugin I mentioned before should get everyone back on your site as a subscriber albeit slowly as they land on the site. I’ve not used SimplePress for a while but you may still need to fix up those rules/groups.

It would probably be best to ask your host to do the restore but before doing so I’d also take a new separate backup. The current instance might not be ideal but it’s still a good idea to at least have this point to return to if needed.

When you say deleted if they appear in the other sites then they’d be in the network admin too, or should be, so they’re not deleted as such. Their role was removed for that specific site. I know it might not sound so different but as the actual accounts are still there they exist for all network sites.

Anyway, it’s probably not wise for me to tackle both here and on DEV as this could get confusing and cause issues in itself. If could please continue with Jack there. 🙂

Take care.

Hi Timothy

Thank you for your reply.

I would like to update this thread to say that I have thankfully managed to resolve this issue and restored my site to the way it was before the incident.

What I did was engage a programmer at Freelancer.com and got him to restore just the users from my 2 month-old MySql site backup which he did and my site is now restored with 0% data loss as far as I can tell.

The US$30 for his one hour’s work was well-spent as I had worried over this issue for almost a week with no resolution, in spite of all the kind help and suggestions from this forum and on WPMUdev.org.

As I am not a programmer and not technically inclined or trained, even with all the suggestions, I was not able to help myself. So the lesson learned here for me is to pony up and bring in some expert help as soon as possible. The relatively small cost is well worth it, compared to the worry, frustration and lost productivity as well as potential site income.

Cheers all! 🙂

I’m really pleased to hear this is now resolved.

I’m sure you’re all over this, but it would be worth from this point on keeping more regular backups, weekly or even daily if your data changes often.

Thanks for updating me. Have a great week.

Take care.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘800 members deleted – Help!’ is closed to new replies.