• Resolved greencode

(@greencode)

The only way I can automatically upgrade plugins and use one click updater is by setting permissions of my plugins folder to 777.

Basically my shared web host doesn’t have suPHP on the server and therefore the server doesn’t allow scripts to be executed with the permission of the site owner and group.

Therefore is it okay to have the plugins directory set to 777 – I’m a little worried but I see absolutely no way around this issue.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • My opinion is, forget the automatic “one click” upgrade. You are in a shared hosting environment. Files 644, Directories 755. You may encounter an exception for that somewhere along your “uploads” path, but leaving directories world writable for the convenience of “one click” upgrades is not a good plan.

is it okay to have the plugins directory set to 777

My reply is no.

I see absolutely no way around this issue.

Take control and do your upgrades and backups via ftp client.

Thread Starter greencode

(@greencode)

To be honest, that’s great when it’s me updating my own plugins etc because I know what to do but if I’m developing a site for a client I’d need to keep it as easy as possible for them to do stuff themselves.

Easy as possible in this case, will get them hacked… perhaps others on the same server as well. Education, or remediation. One is a lot less time consuming than the other in most cases. Especially if the phone number in your clients support contacts list is yours. “Scare” ’em into learning! (Or get them a decent server package.)

C’est la vie.

🙂

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘777 and suPHP’ is closed to new replies.