Support » Plugin: Mammoth .docx converter » 7 months since update BEWARE

• I have the latest WP update, and Mammoth .docx converter not functioning. It is not working as advertised.

Sometimes it doesn’t convert the file at all, sometimes throws error messages like, “Error while attempting to convert file: Cannot read property ‘children’ of undefined.”

7 months is a looong time to not update. Has this plug-in been abandoned?

It’s a good, useful idea, but only if it is updated to work with the ever-changing WP engine.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Plugin Author Michael Williamson

(@michaelwilliamson)

The plugin isn’t abandoned. If you’re able to successfully upload some documents, but not others, then that’s likely an issue in parsing some documents. If you can share minimal example documents that are causing issues, then I can investigate them.

Thread Starter donhz

(@donhz)

I’m glad you have not abandoned this plug-in.

No documents successfully upload. I have tried multiple docx files using Word 2019. Just”loading” or “Error while attempting…” messages but nothing happens. It does not convert anything.

My WP pages use the Classic Editor.

My Word files are ordinary. Text with H1 and H2 headings. Nothing fancy. I have tried using files both with images (which I’d like to include) and without images. Nothing converts.

Knowing that the “Error while attempting…” is a javascript error type, I even checked to make sure I have the latest updates and I do.

Plugin Author Michael Williamson

(@michaelwilliamson)

Could you share an example document?

Thread Starter donhz

(@donhz)

No, not really. They are just ordinary Word documents like everyone creates. An introduction, a heading, more text, another heading, and so forth. No formatting other than standard heading styles.

Some were all text, and I tried images with a few. Same results with all–no joy.

Seems like the plug-in would accommodate normal Word files without them needing to be examined.

(@michaelwilliamson)

I’ve tried uploading documents on a plain WordPress 5.7.1 install with the plugin installed, and it seems to work fine, so I can’t really investigate any further without an example document. The other possibility is that there’s a problematic interaction with other plugins you have installed, or your theme, so you could try disabling any other plugins. Given the error you’re getting, my first step would be to check the document though.

Thread Starter donhz

(@donhz)

Sorry, I don’t uninstall plug-ins that work to facilitate new plug-ins that are incompatible. In my experience, most well-written plug-ins are compatible with each other. I expect the developer to resolve incompatibilities.

It seems you could get at the root of the issue by addressing the error message I mnetioned: “Error while attempting to convert file: Cannot read property ‘children’ of undefined.”

I don’t mean to be unkind. I guess my disappointment with your plug-in is showing. A big timesaver if it worked without hassle.

(@michaelwilliamson)

Given the error you’ve described, the most likely problem is that the documents you’re uploading aren’t supported by the plugin for some reason. Since the documents I have seem to be working correctly, I’m afraid I can’t help you without an example document.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘7 months since update BEWARE’ is closed to new replies.