Support » Everything else WordPress » 6250 posts, 113 500 comments… sounds ok for WP you think ?

• Ola there

I’m about to move a community site I run from a home grown file based Perl solution to WP. I’m talking here about 6250 posts and more than 100K comments.

This is really bigger than any WP blog I’ve seen till now, so before taking the plunge, I’m asking for a few opinions 🙂

Any thoughts on this ? What would be WP limit if any ? Please no basic fanboy advocacy “man wp r00lz gonna work like a charm”, just facts 🙂

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Why not set up a sandbox environment, load the data in and test it there?

I have moved a certain blog twice. I can’t be certain on the number of posts and comments, but I DO know his database was 60MB. In fact before I cleared the stats and logs it was in excess of 210MB.
    He had a problem with a ‘Recent Comments’ plugin due to the way it worked and I believe he paid for custom code to tackle that (A host stopped his site because of excessive queries). Aside from that it worked smoothly and had he not wanted to use such a plugin he’d have been fine.
    Not quite sure if this is what you mean, but it’s the largest DB I’ve come across by a very long way.

Thread Starter Ozh

(@ozh)

I’m using a sandbox , but the sandbox wont be used and read and commented on by the community.

I’m not talking about importing, I’m talking about everyday use, everyday “select ‘stuff’ from wp_comment” with 100K+ lines to check, etc…

Retrieving data is what DBMS are good (as long as the queries are sensible).

I’ve recall seeing WP used for several large sites on the scale (and beyond) of what you’ve given. Unfortunately, I was unable to find them in a cursory search.

However, I was able to find out that BinaryBonsai hit 14000 comments mid-2005 and from that, discovered that a few K2 powered sites such as gavinsblog.com (2k posts, 12k comments) and pandagon.net (1.8k posts, 40k comments) are similarly sized. I’d also imagine that Matt’s site (Photomatt) would be similarly sized.

Hence, whilst not authoritative, it would suggest that WP should scale (at least as much as the server does as well). Not sure if that helps…

Thread Starter Ozh

(@ozh)

Thanks Phu, indeed that sounds OK. Thanks for your answers.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘6250 posts, 113 500 comments… sounds ok for WP you think ?’ is closed to new replies.