Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Thread Starter chattan

(@chattan)

All the Debug notices seem to have disappeared (apart from a sidebar error in the Clean Black theme on a couple of pages), so cleaning out the unsupported software has had some benefit. I’ll have some tinkering to do on various pages to fit existing widgets into new themes, but that should be fairly easy after all this!

I’ve now posted your supplementary questions to my Host forum – more as I get it.

I do feel, Iain, that something was seriously wrong w/your prior WordPress install, so, although I sincerely apologize that rebuilding the site didn’t fix the issue, I also don’t feel it was an exercise in futility, either. I do suggest just for the sake of caution that you might wish to consider changing your control panel password. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings if you also changed your database password as well–just don’t forget to change your wp-config.php file if you do so.

Once we get this resolved, I sincerely hope you’ll get rid of that admin username–it’s a security risk, to say the least. I’m still not entirely convinced that the site hadn’t experienced some form of compromise, though it’s not something I’d be willing to wager on.

G’day, Iain. While troubleshooting an issue for 1 of my hosting clients, I had a thought. Perhaps we could use the web developer tools, built-in to most browsers, to help us troubleshoot this.

So what I’m advising is that when you get the 504 error, activate your favorit browser’s web development tool & see if you find anything of interest there. I used Firefox’s yesterday to determine that, in fact, their protestations to the contrary notwithstanding, the data center had actually put some measures in place that had the result of preventing my client’s website from being iframed. Only using the web development console was I able to prove that the problem was indeed theirs, &, once done, resolution was quickly forthcoming. To access using Firefox, click ‘Tools > Web Developer’ & then ‘Console’. If you’re not like most sighted people who have an extreme aversion to keystrokes, then shift control k will also get you there in less time.

I hope you’ll consider doing this & that you’ll post your reply here so we can have a look.

Thread Starter chattan

(@chattan)

Hi Jackie

I can fire up Firefox and have a crack at this. I’m away a few days now, so it’ll have to wait until next week. No response yet from my host (as far as I can ascertain).

Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ Advisor and Activist

The fact that your host isn’t able to give you access to server error logs is … horrifying. Yes, they’re for ALL sites on the server, but every host I’ve used knows how to give you your errors in a nice log (cpanel and plesk both do this natively). Otherwise how else can you debug php errors!?

Maybe try the ideas in https://wordpress.org/support/topic/how-to-set-a-php-error-log-file-for-wp?replies=13 to manufacture an actual error log so you can dig?

Thread Starter chattan

(@chattan)

Hi all

Now back from holiday and started Firefox (38.0.5) this morning as instructed. The customary 504 message came up a few minutes after I tried to login. The web console output was:

POST http://www.soutarwriters.co.uk/wp-login.php [HTTP/1.1 302 Found 4849ms]
    GET http://www.soutarwriters.co.uk/wp-admin/ [0ms]
    The character encoding of the HTML document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the page must be declared in the document or in the transfer protocol. wp-admin
    window.controllers is deprecated. Do not use it for UA detection.

The full browser console output was:

ReferenceError: gBrowser is not defined about:blank:313:6
    Using //@ to indicate sourceMappingURL pragmas is deprecated. Use //# instead jquery.js:1:0
    NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsITaskbarTabPreview.invalidate] WindowsPreviewPerTab.jsm:406:0
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] whatsnew
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] firefox_whatsnew_38_video-bundle.e443ed338890.css
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] site-bundle.4d72c30b1a11.js
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] firefox-resp-bundle.a080f6f60e2f.js
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] firefox_whatsnew_38_video-bundle.45ba0147b54e.js
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] fx-header-sprite.87fb4d007ec7.png
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] video-poster.3a4751fbd00f.jpg
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] favicon-196.223e1bcaf067.png
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] favicon.dc6635050bf5.ico
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] people-background.718e61c39a89.png
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] tabzilla-static.953a65a1f4a4.png
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] video-poster-thumb.85ee363ce9c3.jpg
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] OpenSans-Light-webfont.963eb3290774.woff
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] footer-mozilla-white.6de861f93df6.png
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] Firefox_Welcome_englishUK.webm
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] OpenSans-Regular-webfont.55b8ce1f9a32.woff
    window.controllers is deprecated. Do not use it for UA detection. nsHeaderInfo.js:412:0
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] favicon.dc6635050bf5.ico
    window.controllers is deprecated. Do not use it for UA detection. nsHeaderInfo.js:412:0
    TypeError: document.getElementById(…) is null overlay.js:7333:4
    NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsITaskbarTabPreview.invalidate] WindowsPreviewPerTab.jsm:406:0
    The character encoding of the HTML document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the page must be declared in the document or in the transfer protocol. wp-admin
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] update.xml
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] ping
    “Given URL is not permitted by the Application configuration: One or more of the given URLs is not permitted by the App’s settings. It must match the Website URL or Canvas URL, or the domain must be a subdomain of one of the App’s domains.” ping:1:50
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] like.php
    fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net : server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555 <unknown>
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] YLs2gGY4Xkc.js
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] LVx-xkvaJ0b.png
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] 1ldYU13brY_.js
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] update.xml
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] primetime_gmp_win_x86_rc_20575.zip
    ReferenceError: gBrowser is not defined

I hope that gives you a lead. I also received a reply from my host to your earlier mod rewrite question:

To answer your questions, we don’t have mod_security installed but we do have mod_rewrite installed. This is turned off by default but can be turned on via a RewriteEngine directive in an .htaccess file.

Thread Starter chattan

(@chattan)

Firefox 38.0.5 web console output:

GET
    http://www.soutarwriters.co.uk/wp-login.php [HTTP/1.1 302 Found 3164ms]
    GET
    http://www.soutarwriters.co.uk/wp-admin/ [0ms]

Thread Starter chattan

(@chattan)

Selected Firefox browser console output (duplicate msgs removed):

Using //@ to indicate sourceMappingURL pragmas is deprecated. Use //# instead jquery.js:1:0
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it’s recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] whatsnew
    TypeError: document.getElementById(…) is null overlay.js:7333:4
    “Given URL is not permitted by the Application configuration: One or more of the given URLs is not permitted by the App’s settings. It must match the Website URL or Canvas URL, or the domain must be a subdomain of one of the App’s domains.” ping:1:50
    fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net : server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555 <unknown>
    ReferenceError: gBrowser is not defined

Thread Starter chattan

(@chattan)

Reply from my host re earlier Mod Security question:

To answer your questions, we don’t have mod_security installed but we do have mod_rewrite installed. This is turned off by default but can be turned on via RewriteEngine directive in an .htaccess file.

Hi, Iain. Sorry this has taken me so long.

2 things. You know that the superadmin login is at soutarwriters.co.uk/wp-admin/network, right? What happens when you type that?

Secondly, I can’t believe I didn’t ask you to have a look at your .htaccess file (seriously? what was I thinking?), but it’s now time to do that. I really didn’t? I don’t see it in the correspondence, so I guess not. Embarrassed blush!

Thread Starter chattan

(@chattan)

Hi Jackie

soutarwriters.co.uk/wp-admin/network just results in a 504 message after the usual delay.

My .htaccess file was posted here early on in our conversation – 3rd or 4th post on page 1.

Sorry about the lengthy error console posts – I thought my first attempt was too long to be accepted, so posted again in fragments. Two of everything now. Nothing in that lot give you any clues?

Ok, Iain, I’m not sure whether being too dumb to go to the first page of posts or to have neglected to ask you to post the .htaccess file in the first place is/would’ve been worse. My feeling is that the failure to ask for the .htaccess would’ve constituted negligence, forgetting about the first page of posts is just stupidity.

Could you tell me whether you’re running a subfolder or subdomain incarnation of Multisite?

You seem to be experiencing some url misconfigurations, so the question now is why, & knowing a little about what you’re running might help.

I’m still not convinced it’s not a hosting issue, but let me know how you’ve configured your multisite, if you would, please.

Thread Starter chattan

(@chattan)

Hi Jackie

I can’t remember what I selected back in 2010, but I’m sure it must have been subfolder. My users address their sites thus: soutarwriters.co.uk/user1 and soutarwriters.co.uk/user2

Also, wp-config.php contains: define( ‘SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL’, false );

Iain, this is tough; your host, it seems, is being < cooperative in terms of error logs, etc.

Do you know what your memory limit & execution timeout for scripts is? Can you find out? Because that could be a problemo.

I think I’m going to go back over this entire thread & see if perchance I’m missing something obvious–it wouldn’t be the 1st time & likely not the last–but somehow I doubt it.

Thread Starter chattan

(@chattan)

Hi Jackie

I checked my host control panel and discovered my ticket had been closed, presumably due to my lack of posts while on holiday. I’ve re-opened it and asked them 3 questions:

1. Can they copy my site to a server with an earlier build and try login.
    2. Can they provide extracts of logs when 504 occurs.
    3. Can they detail differences in builds, e.g. script memory & run times.

More when (if) I get it…

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • The topic ‘504 GatewayTime-out’ is closed to new replies.