• matthewcorliss

(@matthewcorliss)

I’m a newbie to wordpress – savvy with anything else digital – and the website that I’m trying to create for a class is inaccessible.

Since about 12:30 Mountain Time on Wednesday April 15, I have not been able to log into my website because of a:

504 Gateway Time-Out
    nginx

I’ve searched high and low. Many help forums say I should wait it out. However, other wordpress users in my classes are not having this problem.

I’ve tried on different computers, different browsers and tried in different locations. Nothing seems to work.

Please help. I would love to be working on the site now and I don’t think waiting it out is an option.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Clayton James

(@claytonjames)

and the website that I’m trying to create for a class is inaccessible…
    …other wordpress users in my classes are not having this problem.

Are you all hosted on the same server? If so, that may narrow the scope of your problem if you are the only one unable to connect. Nginx configuration issue or hardware issue maybe? If your host is on campus, maybe your network admins could shed some light, otherwise it might be worth a call to your ISP or hosting company for advice.

Thread Starter matthewcorliss

(@matthewcorliss)

I’ve had a couple of folks try to log in from different computers, from different servers, etc. I don’t think it’s on campus.

Any other suggestions? Same 504 Gateway Time-Out nginx message ever time.

Thread Starter matthewcorliss

(@matthewcorliss)

So, last night, I got the site working again by not doing anything.

I was editing it a bit this morning, and, lo and behold:

504 Gateway Time-Out
    nginx

I’m going to smash everything around me if this does this to me one more time.

I’ve contacted engineers, code writers and other computer super-literates and each tell me the same thing:

It’s a problem with wordpress, not you.

So, wordpress, please help! What is going on? What can I do to contact you, talk to you about it or fix it?

Clayton James

(@claytonjames)

I’ve contacted engineers, code writers and other computer super-literates and each tell me the same thing:
    It’s a problem with wordpress, not you.

I would have thought that individuals with those qualifications would have been slightly more inquisitive than that if they were familiar with WordPress.

If you Google your error message, the evidence seems unlikely that this is strictly a WordPress application issue.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=504+Gateway+Time-Out+nginx&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=undefined&fp=_rpp-4zAm3I

That’s not to say that something you have added to the application, or http server timeout settings issues, or proxy configurations, or redirect rules, may not be involved in contributing to an issue, but I was hard pressed to find any reference to this error being caused by the WordPress package.

I don’t think it’s on campus.

So, again, just to be clear… You do not know who is hosting your site (running the server that your website is actually located on)or how to contact them, so you have not yet consulted with them for information or support on the 504 error. Am I interpreting that correctly?

You could also post a link to the site you are having trouble with. Maybe someone will see something that might help you.

Another Google search using these keywords might also be time well spent for information gathering: 504 Gateway Time-Out Nginx WordPress

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘504 gateway time-out’ is closed to new replies.