Support » Fixing WordPress » 503 Service Problems (but only on some devices)

• jmwhite100

(@jmwhite100)

Hi!

I have a site which is working perfectly as far as any visitor would see, and on one device I have the admin side running perfectly. So, that’s all great.

However, I can only sign in on this one device, every other device gives me a 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable error when I try and sign in to the admin panel. About 1 time in 25 it will let me sign in on another device, but usually, it fails immediately. I’ve tried other devices, switching to Internet Explorer, but it just wants to work on one computer. I can sign out and sign back in without issues on this device.

Does anyone know where I can even start looking to solve this? I tried the routine things with the 503 error, such as removing every plug-in temporarily, etc, and that hasn’t fixed anything. I’m using the latest version of WordPress and the latest version of PHP (although I reverted the PHP just in case).

j.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Moderator Steve Stern

(@sterndata)

Support Team Volunteer

Did you set up any IP address exclusions via a plugin or in .htaccess?

jmwhite100

(@jmwhite100)

Not knowingly……

I can’t gain access on my mobile phone, but if I tether my laptop to the phone (so exactly the same connection), then the site works. I’ve deleted the cache and there’s also nothing in the error log, which makes me wonder what obvious thing I must be missing.

I did send the password to a friend to try, so that it was entirely off-site, and he got the same error.

Moderator Steve Stern

(@sterndata)

Support Team Volunteer

That’s just really strange. I’m going to ask the folks in the back room to fire up the coffee maker and think about this.

jmwhite100

(@jmwhite100)

The only clue that I have is that I installed Jetpack (which I’ve done on other installations without problems) and it gave me some problems with php errors that I noticed on the error log and the site failed (on all devices). I disabled that plug-in and nothing worked, so I swore at it, then came back later and found it worked on one device only (the start of this issue of only one device working).

It’s beyond my technical knowledge!

JNashHawkins

(@jnashhawkins)

Could it be Jetpack trying to do something with the mobile device like sending the mobile device a mobile page or thinking it should be talking to an APP on the phone?

Like the default browser on the phone requests the page but then Jetpack somehow thinks there’s an Android APP it’s supposed to talk with… or vice versa?

Maybe it’s a Jetpack setting that needs to be tweaked or toggled and then toggled back.

Just a guess but sometimes looking at the wrong thing starts you down the right track after a bit.

jmwhite100

(@jmwhite100)

Very many thanks – I shall pursue every avenue!

By chance, I’ve just got in on my phone, but only because I keep trying until it works…. What I don’t know is whether Jetpack (now disabled and deleted as a plug-in) has changed any files or added any files somewhere that I could narrow down.

I suppose a challenge is exciting 🙂

jmwhite100

(@jmwhite100)

Just as an update, I didn’t resolve exactly what was causing this, but the latest WordPress update came out a few days ago (5.0.3) and this appears to have fixed it. So if anyone has a similar problem, it might just be a matter of updating WordPress…

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘503 Service Problems (but only on some devices)’ is closed to new replies.