• Resolved doulos12

(@doulos12)

When I try to pull up a list of sermons in the dashboard /wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=wpfc_sermon I get this error:

Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Backend fetch failed

Guru Meditation:

XID: 394526418

Varnish cache server

I noticed this yesterday before today’s update came out. Today’s update didn’t help.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Thread Starter doulos12

(@doulos12)

Hey @doulos12, unfortunately, all that I can see from the logs is that the page is loading slowly.

Temporary solution would be to increase Varnish timeouts.

Open your Varnish configuration file (mine was in /etc/varnish/user.vcl) and add these lines:

backend default {
      .host = "127.0.0.1";
      .port = "8888";
      .connect_timeout = 1s; # Wait a maximum of 1s for backend connection (Apache, Nginx, etc...)
      .first_byte_timeout = 5s; # Wait a maximum of 5s for the first byte to come from your backend
      .between_bytes_timeout = 2s; # Wait a maximum of 2s between each bytes sent
    }

The most important settings here is the first_byte_timeout. So go ahead and play with those settings until it starts working. (I’d recommend setting 8-10s timeout, since logs say that it loads in about 6.5 seconds)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Nikola.
    Thread Starter doulos12

(@doulos12)

My host (Pantheon) doesn’t allow me to play with Varnish settings.

Backend/Server settings aren’t my specialty. Is there a different log file that might offer some insight?

Plugin Author wpforchurch

(@wpforchurch)

Hey @doulos12, have you been able to raise this with your host? If so, what was their response?

Does turning Varnish off solve the problem?

Thanks,
    Igor

Thread Starter doulos12

(@doulos12)

Can’t turn off Varnish, but with the host in question, Pantheon, it turns out their caching plugin was causing problems. I turned that off, and their support crew submitted a bug report to their code monkeys. All good for now, waiting on them to release a plugin update. Thanks for following up.

Plugin Author wpforchurch

(@wpforchurch)

Hey @doulos12, thanks for letting us know. Hope they sort it out asap.

All the best,
    Igor

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘503 Error’ is closed to new replies.