• I run a WordPress Multisite, The last two operations I performed was: Installed a Plugin(wp e-commerce) and then updated the wordpress site in that order.
    I logged out, then cleared my Browser Cache. Now I can’t seem to be able to access the admin section anymore… All I get is 502 error . . .Bad Gateway. via ../wp-admin.
    Please help!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Thread Starter spiritzilla

(@spiritzilla)

I got an idea which I need an advice on. I was thinking the problem might have arrived due to maybe one or two plugin not compatible with my upgrade.
    1. Temporarily renaming the wp-content/plugins folder.(this automatically disables all the plugins).
    2. then naming it back to the oringinals – I hope I should be able to log back into the admin if a plugin is causing the problem – meaning I can then be activating the plugins one by one and until I find the “culprit”

My fear is: The site is running perfectly in the front-end, Disabling plugins might hide many things. Should in case the problem isn’t solved,
    How do restore the activated plugins? without adding to the problem?
    Any advice Pls

Thread Starter spiritzilla

(@spiritzilla)

I have just renamed the plugin and mu-folder folders to something else, hoping that i would be able to get to the admin page, but still couldn’t. The front page didnt function normally, so I reverted back the renamings to normal.
    Still same problem. Bad Gateway. Even when I cleared the browser cache.

Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

🏳️‍🌈 Advisor and Activist

What’s in your .htaccess?

(@spiritzilla)

# BEGIN WordPress 

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]  

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L] 

#add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]  

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L] RewriteRule  ^[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/(wp-content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule  ^[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]
    RewriteRule .index.php [L]
    php_valueupload_max_filesize 20M
    php_valuepost_max_size 20M  

# END WordPress

(@spiritzilla)

I noticed initially that I could access the server from my house in contrast to what happen at work. even though the load time was extremely slow(could take about 5-10minutes).

I have since restored my site from a back up. All is well for now, but the problem remains unsolved as I haven’t got the confident to update my WordPress to 3.5 anymore without anticipating such problems I would just leave it for now.
    Meanwhile if anyone has an idea, I am still following this issue because it was a real night mare for me and maybe for many other that could face this type of issue in future.

(@ipstenu)

If you can’t access your site from one location, it’s the location or its your server blocking that location.

Your .htaccess has a typo. Two lines are merged together.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Multisite_Network_Administration#.htaccess_and_Mod_Rewrite

(@spiritzilla)

Yeah, Thanks Mika, The typo error doesn’t appear like that on the site root. I copied it to a Word document for presentation before re-copying it here. Hence the merger.
    Upgrade wouldn’t do that I guess.

(@ipstenu)

Don’t use Word for anything resembling code. Just … don’t 😉 If you’re on Windows, grab Notepad++, it’s free, it’s awesome.

Read http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E502.html to understand about an 502. It’s probably a proxy server.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘502 error at admin /wp-admin’ is closed to new replies.