• I have multiple wordpress installs on the same server with the same host. Yet one of my sites was auto updated to 4.4.4 and it works on the front end, but I can’t get to the wp-admin without it going really slow and finally resulting in a 502 Bad Gateway error.

I manually updated all the files to the latest wp version and ran the update for the database but still having the same issue.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

– 502 Bad Gateway is likely a server error, nott a WordPress issue. Try contacting your hosting provider.
    – Meanwhile, clear cookies from the current browser, try a different browser.

Also:
    – Why are you using an old version of WordPress? Were you aware that your site is currently running a very real risk of being hacked? You need to upgrade WordPress asap.

Thread Starter roxics

(@roxics)

4.4.3 was released in May 2016, that’s not very old so I’m not sure what you mean by old.

I’ve already tried different browsers and I get the same thing. It’s hard to believe it’s a server issue since all my other wordpress sites run on this server don’t have any issues just this one and just when trying to get to the wp-admin.

Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

4.4.3 was released in May 2016, that’s not very old so I’m not sure what you mean by old

WordPress 4.5.3 is a security release for all previous versions and we strongly encourage you to update your sites immediately.

WordPress versions 4.5.2 and earlier are affected by several security issues..

4.4.3 was released in May 2016, that’s not very old so I’m not sure what you mean by old

“Old” in this case simply means not the current supported version of WordPress. Actual date of release is irrelevant. https://wordpress.org/download/release-archive/

A “502” is usually a server, appliance/gateway or proxy configuration issue.

https://www.google.com/#q=502+error

[edit] what Tara said. 🙂

Thread Starter roxics

(@roxics)

WordPress versions 4.5.2 and earlier are affected by several security issues..

Why would wordpress automatically update my site to version 4.4.4 yesterday if it wasn’t secure? Why not just go straight to 4.5.3?

Anyway, I fixed it myself by pulling all the files off the server and just adding the new 4.5.3 files and then adding the theme and plugins back. Seems to work just fine now. Maybe it was one of the other themes I had installed but wasn’t using? I don’t know. I only added back the one I’m using.
    Either way, some file or files that were there before were messing it up.

Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

You can try MANUALLY updating. Download a fresh copy of the WordPress .zip file to your computer, unzip it, and use that to copy up all files and folders EXCEPT the wp-config.php file and the /wp-content/ directory. You may need to delete the old wp-admin and wp-includes folders and files on your server before uploading the new ones. Please read the Manual Update directions first.

Why would wordpress automatically update my site to version 4.4.4 yesterday if it wasn’t secure? Why not just go straight to 4.5.3?

“By default, only minor releases – such as for maintenance and security purposes – and translation file updates are enabled on most sites. In special cases, plugins and themes may be updated.”

Configuring Automatic Background Updates

We have just converted our site to https/ssl. I added define(‘FORCE_SSL_ADMIN’, true); in wp-config.php to secure the admin area. I notice that there are links in the WordPress dashboard search menu to http: urls. Therefore we are getting mixed content errors on the admin side. Is there a way I can eliminate thesse?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by hmabpera.
    Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

@hmabpera,

If you noticed this is over 7-month old thread!!

If the troubleshooting already posted made no difference for you, then, as per the Forum Welcome, please post your own topic. That way you stand a good chance of getting the assistance you want.

This thread is closed now.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘502 Bad Gateway in wp-admin’ is closed to new replies.