WordPress.org

Forums

NS Cloner - Site Copier
[resolved] 502 bad gateway during cloning (2 posts)

1. visualtech
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hello,

I am currently hosted with WPEngine. I was cloning a subdomain, after awhile, the 502 bad gateway error came, but the subdomain is already created, I can see it in my network of sites. The thing is, the cloning is not complete. No pages/posts/products(woocommerce) are cloned but the plugins are all there.

I will send the log to you guys as well.

Thanks!

https://wordpress.org/plugins/ns-cloner-site-copier/

2. Never Settle
    Plugin Author

Posted 1 year ago #

Thank you for your logs and follow up.

For anyone else on WPE or another host that has lower max_execution_time settings and/or doesn't allow you to modify them... here was the conclusion on this issue:

The Cloner was really designed to quickly copy fully configured but empty (relatively no content) site templates. It wasn't really built as a full-blown copy / back-up / migration tool. It still works like you are wanting when you have full control of your hosting. For scenarios like yours we have a complex batching add-on in the works that will clone in chunks to avoid issues like inflexible max_execution_time settings. That's a ways off though.

As a first step the Cloner creates the new site and then copies all the data to it. That's why you can see the new site show up - it's there - but it's only getting partially cloned and will be broken.

In the meantime, the next best bet might be to create / configure / set up a site template (theme, menus, pages, images) but no content for cloning. Then you can copy / migrate your content separately using tools like WordPress built-in export / import xml.

That might be the best you can achieve with the Cloner today.
    You could also try cleaning up your DB (deleting all transients, removing / deleting any plugins and their tables that aren't being used, removing all deleted posts / products etc.). The DB Optimize plugins out there work pretty well. Make sure you use WPE backup points :) However, if your DB is truly huge, and you have lots of product images / etc., it's still probably going to come down to just being too big.

Sorry! (also for anyone else this might affect).

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

• NS Cloner - Site Copier
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Support Threads
  • Reviews

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.