• I have tried to install this plugin several times, each time I get a 500 Server Error. I manually remove the plugin, everything works!!

The error_log file shows the following:

[29-Sep-2021 15:10:59 UTC] PHP Warning: shell_exec(): Unable to execute ‘cat /proc/cpuinfo’ in /home4/pyxis2025/preppyprincess.com/wp-content/plugins/wptools/settings/options/plugin_options_tabbed.php on line 712
    [29-Sep-2021 15:11:18 UTC] PHP Warning: shell_exec(): Unable to execute ‘cat /proc/cpuinfo’ in /home4/pyxis2025/preppyprincess.com/wp-content/plugins/wptools/settings/options/plugin_options_tabbed.php on line 712

Update: After contacting HostGator, I was informed that the PHP functions: shell_exec() and cat/proc/cpuinfo could not be opened for “security reasons”.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Pyxis2025.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Plugin Author Bill Minozzi

(@sminozzi)

Hi Pyxis,

Yesterday we answer to you in our support page:

Hi Peter,

You need request to your hosting company release this PHP functions:

shell_exec()

cat /proc/cpuinfo

Cheers,

Bill

Unfortunately your hosting company is limiting you. Probably they don’t want to show to you the real performance and characteristics of your server.
    We wrote in our WordPress readme page the server requirements to use this plugin.

Cheers,
    Bill

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Bill Minozzi.
    Thread Starter Pyxis2025

(@drp2p2)

Dear Bill,
    You are 100% correct. Below is the email I received from HostGator.

Hello Pete,

Thank you for getting back to us.

It is my understanding that you are requesting to have shell_exec enabled. Due to inheirent security conscerns with this function I regret to inform you that it cannot be enabled on our shared packages. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. If shell_exec is required for the sites functionality it would be recommended to look in to our VPS and dedicated server packages.

https://www.hostgator.com/vps-hosting
    https://www.hostgator.com/dedicated-server

If you have any concerns feel free to respond to this email for further assistance or reach out to our frontline support, we are available 24/7 at (866) 964-2867 or through our chat system at https://helpchat.hostgator.com/.

Sincerely,
    Kyle K.
    Escalated Support

Thank you again for getting back to me on this matter.

Respectfully yours,

Pete

Plugin Author Bill Minozzi

(@sminozzi)

Hi Peter,

Thanks for let me know and for your 5 stars.
    I made upload of the plugin version 2.44. I guess this version can avoid a 500 error, but that disabled hosting functions will limit some plugin functionalities (not all).

Please, let me know if you decide try and have problems.

Cheers,

Bill

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Bill Minozzi.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘500 Server Error’ is closed to new replies.