• I’ve been recently getting a 500 Server Error message as follows:

A misconfiguration on the server caused a hiccup. Check the server logs, fix the problem, then try again.
    URL: http://www.brad-baron.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=695&action=edit&message=1

What’s weird is that it only seems to happen 10% of the time, and there is also no trend as to when it happens. Usually for whatever reason, when I’m in the admin sections of my website, if something takes too long to load, I’ll get this message.

Any ideas what this could be traced back to? Cause I have no idea.

Also, my coding knowledge is zero. Please assume I know nothing!

Thanks in advance,

Brad

site: http://www.brad-baron.com

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You may try the basic troubleshooting steps like deactivating and activating plugins, changing theme to default theme, etc. Perhaps it will solve the issue. If not, also try reinstalling WordPress manually from a freshly downloaded copy except wp-content (delete all old files for the files that you reinstall).

Thread Starter bgbaron89

(@bgbaron89)

Trust me, I’ve been activating and deactivating plugins up the wazoo.

The issue is that the 500 Server Error doesn’t occur with any real frequency or consistency. It’s impossible to isolate at the moment since it seems to occur somewhat randomly.

I don’t know if that helps to clear anything up or not

-Brad

There’s so many different reasons that could cause a 500 error that it’s impossible to give you any idea from just that bit of information.

Do you have anything in the error logs for your site? Is there any logs or notices available from your hosting company? Normally when these sort of errors occur i ttakes digging through the log sfiles to get an indication of what might have gone wrong.

Thread Starter bgbaron89

(@bgbaron89)

Actually, yes.

When I click on the “issue” button in my Safari web inspector on my homepage, the following comes up under the document “buttons.js – widgets.digg.com” …

“Type issue: ‘null’ is not an object (evaluating ‘document.body.style’)”

Next to it in the scripts window, I see this mess:

if(!window.__DBW)var __DBW=function(){var h={api:"http://widgets.digg.com/buttons/count?url=",analytics:"http://a.digg.com/",css:"http://widgets.digg.com/css/buttons3.css",popup:"http://digg.com/tools/diggthis/",submit:"http://digg.com/submit?"},z={impression:5,click:100},s={source:"source",submitted:"submitted",event:"event",diggs:"diggs",storyId:"storyId",buttons:"buttons"},i,j,l={},A=function(a,b){var c,d=parseInt(b.diggs),e=a.firstChild.firstChild.firstChild.firstChild;if(d>9999)d=Math.floor(data.diggs/
    1E3)+"K";else if(d>999){c=(d+="").charAt(0);d=d.replace(c,c+",")}e.appendChild(document.createTextNode(d));e.nextSibling.appendChild(document.createTextNode(d==1?"digg":"diggs"));if(b.id)a.firstChild.firstChild.className="db-container"},v=function(a){function b(){for(var f in e)return f}var c=i.cloneNode(true),d=B(a),e={},g,k;c.className+=" db-"+d;c.getElementsByTagName("SPAN")[2].className+=" db-"+d;g=C(a);if(g.style===false)c.className="db-clean";c.firstChild.onclick=function(){var f=this.firstChild;
    f.className="db-container db-dugg";if(!k){f=f.firstChild.firstChild;j.ie?t(f):u(f,0,function(){t(f);setTimeout(function(){u(f,100)},175)});k=1}b()?n(e,"click"):setTimeout(function(){n(e,"click")},1E3);D(g,e)};a.parentNode.replaceChild(c,a);l[g.url]=l[g.url]||[];l[g.url].push(function(f){if(!b()){e=f;n(f,"impression");A(c,f)}});E(g.url)},o=function(){var a=document.createElement("link"),b=document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0]||document.documentElement,c=b.firstChild;a.setAttribute("rel","stylesheet");
    a.setAttribute("type","text/css");a.setAttribute("href",h.css);c?b.insertBefore(a,c):b.appendChild(a);o=0},u=function(a,b,c){var d,e,g=function(f){e=f;a.style.opacity=f/100;a.style.filter="alpha(opacity="+f+")"},k=function(){if(e==b)c&&c();else{g(e+d);setTimeout(k,15)}};(function(){d=b?5:-5;e=b?0:100;g(e);setTimeout(k,15)})()},F=function(a){var b=document.createElement("script"),c=document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0]||document.documentElement,d=c.firstChild;b.setAttribute("type","text/javascript");
    b.setAttribute("async","true");b.setAttribute("src",a);d?c.insertBefore(b,d):c.appendChild(b)},E=function(a){F(h.api+a)},B=function(a){var b="large",c=" "+a.className+" ",d="";if(c.match(/( DiggThisButtonMedium | DiggMedium )/))b="medium";else if(c.match(/ DiggLarge /))b="large";else if(c.match(/ DiggCompact /))b="compact";else if(c.match(/ DiggIcon /))b="digger";else if(c.match(/ DiggWide /))b="wide";a=a.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(a[0])d=a[0].src;else return b;if(d.match(/diggThis\.(gif|png)/i))return"large";
    else if(d.match(/diggThisMedium\.(gif|png)/i))return"medium";else if(d.match(/diggThisCompact\.(gif|png)/i))return"compact";else if(d.match(/digg-guy-icon.(gif|png)/i))return"digger";else if(d.match(/diggThisWide.(gif|png)/i))return"wide";else if(d.match(/diggThisIcon.(gif|png)/i))return"digger";return b},t=function(a){var b=a.firstChild,c=b.nodeValue;if(c.indexOf(",")>=0)b.nodeValue=+c.replace(/,/g,"")+1;else if(!c.match(/k/i)){c=+c+1;b.nodeValue=c;a.nextSibling.firstChild.nodeValue=c==1?"digg":
    "diggs"}},D=function(a,b){var c=480;if(b.id)a.storyId=b.id;if(a.related===false)c=335;a=h.popup+"confirm"+w(a);window.open(a,"diggAction","status=0,toolbar=0,location=0,menubar=0,directories=0,resizable=0,scrollsbars=0,height="+c+",width=700")},G=function(a){var b,c,d,e={};b=a.indexOf("?");if(b>-1){a=a.substr(b+1).replace(/\&/g,"&").split("&");b=0;for(c=a.length;b<c;b++){d=a[b].split("=");e[d[0]]=d[1]}}return e},C=function(a){var b={},c;if(a.href)b=G(a.href);b.title=escape(unescape(b.url?b.title||
    "":document.title));b.url=escape(unescape(b.url||location.href)).replace(/\+/g,"%2b");b.related=b.related||true;b.style=b.style!="no";if(a.rev){c=a.rev.split(",");if(c.length>1){b.rev=c[0].replace("(","").replace(")","").replace(/\'/g,"");b.topic=H(c[1])}}b.bodytext=null;if(a=a.getElementsByTagName("span")[0])b.bodytext=a.innerHTML;return b},I=function(){var a,b,c,d,e,g;j=j||{ie:!!document.all,ie6:typeof document.body.style.maxHeight==="undefined"};i=document.createElement("SPAN");i.className="db-wrapper db-clear";
    a=document.createElement("SPAN");if(j.ie){a.className="db-ie";if(j.ie6)a.className="db-ie db-ie6"}b=document.createElement("SPAN");b.className="db-container db-submit";c=document.createElement("SPAN");c.className="db-body";d=document.createElement("SPAN");d.className="db-count";e=document.createElement("SPAN");e.className="db-copy";g=document.createElement("A");g.className="db-anchor";i.appendChild(a);a.appendChild(b);b.appendChild(c);c.appendChild(d);c.appendChild(e);c.appendChild(g);g.appendChild(document.createTextNode("digg"))},
    w=function(a){var b=[];for(prop in a)a[prop]!==null&&b.push(prop+"="+a[prop]);return"?"+b.join("&")},J=function(a){var b;for(prop in a)if(s[prop]){b=a[prop];delete a[prop];a[s[prop]]=b}return a},n=function(a,b){a=J({chan:"button-v4",submitted:!!a.id,event:b,diggs:a.diggs,storyId:a.id||0,buttons:p});a=h.analytics+w(a);if(Math.floor(Math.random()*100)+1<=z[b])(new Image).src=a},H=function(a){return a.replace(/^\s+|\s+$/g,"")},q,x,p=0,y,r=function(){o&&o();i||I();y();x||setTimeout(r,500)},m=function(){x=
    1};y=function(a){return a&&(a+="").substr(a.indexOf("{")).replace(/\s/g,"")=="{[nativecode]}"}(document.getElementsByClassName)?function(){for(var a=document.getElementsByClassName("DiggThisButton");a.length;){v(a[0]);p++}}:function(){for(var a=document.getElementsByTagName("A"),b=a.length,c=0,d;c<b;c++){d=" "+a[c].className+" ";if(d.indexOf(" DiggThisButton ")>=0){v(a[c]);p++}}};r();if(window.addEventListener)window.addEventListener("load",m,true);else if(window.attachEvent)window.attachEvent("onload",
    m);else{q=window.onload;window.onload=q?function(){q();m()}:m}return{writeLink:function(){var a=['<a class="DiggThisButton'];if(window.digg_skin=="compact")a.push(' DiggCompact"');else window.digg_skin=="icon"?a.push(' DiggIcon"'):a.push('"');if(window.digg_title)a.push(' href="',h.submit,"url=",escape(digg_url||DIGG_URL||location.href).replace(/\+/g,"%2b"),"&title=",escape(digg_title),'"');else if(window.digg_url||window.DIGG_URL)a.push(' href="',h.submit,"url=",escape(digg_url||DIGG_URL).replace(/\+/g,
    "%2b"),'"');window.digg_media&&window.digg_topic&&a.push(' rev="',digg_media,", ",digg_topic,'"');a.push(">");window.digg_bodytext&&a.push("<span>",digg_bodytext,"</span>");a.push("</a>");document.write(a.join(""))},addButtons:r,collectDiggs:function(a){for(var b=l[escape(a.url).replace(/\+/g,"%2b")],c=b.length,d=0;d<c;d++)b[d](a)}}}();

The only thing I can think of might be that I at one time at the plugin Digg. I have since deactivated and deleted that plugin, but perhaps something in the code got left over?

I don’t know if something like this would cause 500 Server Errors though.

Anyway, any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated!

That will have nothing to do with the server error. What you are seeing there is an unrelated error that’s occuring in your browser for some other reason – it’s all client-side, not server-side. This has got no effect on your WordPress system or the server that it’s running on. You need to look at the error logs on the server to find out where the problem is.

Have you access your hosting control panel and viewed the server error log?

If there is anything on there and does not show sensitive information please post it 😉

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘500 Server Error’ is closed to new replies.