Support » Fixing WordPress » 500 internall server error when I am (loged in admin)

• makecake

(@mohammedays)

Hello there,
    I have been having 500 internal server error for about 3 months. nowadays it is occurring more often. I am so tired of it and cannot solve it.:

deactivated all the plugin ( it worked fine)
    then I started activating one by one, and I noticed that I only have like 3 plugin left that my theme requires. when I kept the plugin activated I get the 500 internal server error, and it log me out ( admin) then I started browsing the site while I am not loged in and it works fine.

My observation of this tells me that when I log in as the admin I have the error, when I log out the error goes away.

does anyone have an idea on how to solve this?

thank you for the support.

Viewing 14 replies - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • There are other folders and files should I change them as well? What about wp-coinfg should I change it or keep it as it is?

Thank you so much, appreciate your time.

Moderator Steven Stern (sterndata)

(@sterndata)

Forum Moderator & Support Team Volunteer

wp-config.php should be 664.

Thanks Steve for your time. WordPress, Bluehost and Avada suggest the current permissions that I have. I’m not an expert but I’m actually afraid to change them I herd they are for security purposes.

By the way, I installed a fresh copy of WordPress and still have the issue. I noticed the internal server error occurs more during peak hours of my site. I have the basic plan with Bluehost and they said there is no limits on traffic. It’s weird that internal server error happens more often diuring peak hours. Please share your thoughts about this.

Thank you so much.

(@sterndata)

If the error comes and goes, it’s most likely a hosting problem. When WP itself is broken, it’s generally broken.

thank you for the reply.
    I enabled the debugging, and went to my site as normal. I tested it by opening posts for editing (this is usually makes the internal server error shows up)

and I found this in the log 🙂

[Wed Feb 05 10:47:34.393834 2020] [:error] [pid 77328:tid 139774118717184] [client 37.43.228.175:53321] SoftException in Application.cpp:630: Could not execute script “/home1/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-admin/post.php”, referer: https://www.xxxxxx.net/wp-admin/edit.php?paged=6

please take a look at these.

[Wed Feb 05 14:36:50.903810 2020] [:error] [pid 404293:tid 139773324543744] [client 38.128.66.10:0] SoftException in Application.cpp:630: Could not execute script “/home1/xxxxxxx/public_html/index.php”

[Wed Feb 05 14:36:50.013640 2020] [:error] [pid 404293:tid 139773692856064] [client 5.244.163.91:0] SoftException in Application.cpp:630: Could not execute script “/home1/xxxxxxx/public_html/index.php”, referer: https://www.google.com/

[Wed Feb 05 14:36:49.740221 2020] [:error] [pid 404293:tid 139773681346304] [client 197.253.196.171:0] SoftException in Application.cpp:630: Could not execute script “/home1/hatitnet/public_html/index.php”, referer: https://www.xxxxxxx.net/5280/

[Wed Feb 05 14:36:48.736710 2020] [:error] [pid 412638:tid 139774268344064] [client 37.43.228.175:57520] SoftException in Application.cpp:630: Could not execute script “/home1/xxxxxxx/public_html/index.php”, referer: https://www.xxxxxxx.net/wp-admin/post.php?post=10231&action=edit

(@sterndata)

SoftException indicates a permissions error. Can you ask your host to look at this again?

I asked them and he said it could be a php version related issue.

honestly some of the representative seems to no know what they are doing. I will call them and talk to a supervisor.

@sterndata I contacted bluehost their representatives are not really helping, they asked me to upgrade plan or change php server Version which does not make sense to me.

anyway,
    I noticed most of the errors are very similar, example:

[Wed Feb 05 14:36:50.903810 2020] [:error] [pid 404293:tid 139773324543744] [client 38.128.66.10:0] SoftException in Application.cpp:630: Could not execute script “/home1/xxxxxxx/public_html/index.php”

1- Could not execute script
    2- public_html/index.php”

so I totaly think you got it right, it is a permissions error for index.php maybe it needs to execute as it said. so https://wordpress.org/support/article/changing-file-permissions/#using-an-ftp-client suggests it should be 666. with 666 owner, group and public would be able to read and write and none can execute.

I am not knowledgeable about permissions I learned it from you. so can you please guide me. Thank you so much Steve.

(@sterndata)

664 on files, 775 on directories.

664 for all files? in this list? some of them is not PHP
    .htaccess
    .user.ini
    error_log
    index.php
    license.txt
    php.ini
    phpinfo.php
    robots.txt
    wp-activate.php
    wp-blog-header.php
    wp-cli.yml
    wp-comments-post.php
    wp-config-sample.php
    wp-config.php
    wp-cron.php
    wp-links-opml.php
    wp-load.php
    wp-login.php
    wp-mail.php
    wp-settings.php
    wp-signup.php
    wp-trackback.php
    xmlrpc.php

(@sterndata)

Yes, in the site root and in all subdirs.

Hi Steve, finally Bluehost responded and said, “the issue appears to be occurring due to spikes of bot traffic hitting your site. In addition to others, Google bots are hitting your site thousands of times causing the intermittent downtime.

In order to fix this, you would need to make a Google Webmaster Tools account in order to manage them and instruct Google not to hit the site as often. Once you make that change, please bear in mind that this will only last for 3 months. After that, you would need to login to the Google Webmaster Tools repeat the same process.”

What do you think, do you think it’s true and that could cause it?

Thank you so much for your time.

(@sterndata)

It’s worth a try.

Viewing 14 replies - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The topic ‘500 internall server error when I am (loged in admin)’ is closed to new replies.