WP Ajaxify Comments
[resolved] 500 internal server error when posting empty comment (7 posts)

1. tamas.antalkwikkfix.com
    Posted 1 year ago #

when I try to post an empty comment, it drops a
    POST http://...mysite....com/wp-comments-post.php 500 (Internal Server Error) in the console.
    Everything works fine if I disable the plugin, so there must be something with this.

Any tips to solve this?

2. smartwebdev
    Posted 1 year ago #

I am getting the same thing. The error is not displaying in a pop up. I can see it in firebug but nothing shows on the page.

Any recommendations?

3. smartwebdev
    Posted 1 year ago #

Ahhh I just solved it.

I had to set Z-Index to a super big number because the error pops up at the top but we have a fixed header that scrolls.

After setting it to 999999999999999999999999 which is way larger than the largest valid number. It works.

Try that and look for the little error message in red at the top of your browser.

4. janjonas
    Plugin Author

Posted 1 year ago #

Hi tamas.antalkwikkfix.com, hi smartwebdev,

WordPress returns a status code 500 (Internal Server Error) by design if the comment form was not filled out correctly (like empty comment or invalid e-mail address). So this is not a problem.
    Could you please send me a link where I can reproduce the problem?

Setting the z-index (default is 1000) to a higher value could be necessary (depending on your theme or customizings). Nevertheless, I would not recommend to set the z-index to value larger than 2147483647 (http://www.puidokas.com/max-z-index/).

Hope this helps...

5. tamas.antalkwikkfix.com
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hi janjonas,

I sent you a mail to mail at janjonas dot net. Please have a look.
    Thanks, Tamas

6. janjonas
    Plugin Author

Posted 1 year ago #

Thanks, login data works. Posting comments works too. What is the exact problem?

As mentioned above the (red) request that returns a 500 HTTP Status code in the console isn't a problem. WordPress returns a 500er error be design.

Best regards,

7. tamas.antalkwikkfix.com
    Posted 1 year ago #

that was the problem, but you asked for a link to check it, so you've got one :D

If it is by design, then I let it be... thanks, cheers

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

• WP Ajaxify Comments
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Support Threads
  • Reviews

About this Topic

No tags yet.