Support » Installing WordPress » 500 Internal Server Error when importing XML

• I currently have a WP.com site and want to migrate to WP.org. Therefore, I purchased a WP Hosting Account with GoDaddy, using the same domain name. I’m building this new site with a DNS preview link, so I can migrate all the content, work out the kinks, before I flip the switch and set the new one to go live.

Now, I’m trying to export the content from the current site to the new site. I downloaded the XML file (All Content option) and upload it using the Importer plugin. I was able to upload the XML file and was prompted to assign authors to content. I checked the “Import Attachments – Download and import file attachments” box in order to include all the images attached to each post. And here comes trouble. It takes a while to think and process, then I’d get the following 500 Internal Server Error message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache Server at [mydomain.com] Port 80

I went to check and found that no posts or pages were uploaded, 80 of 1651 images were uploaded, all tags & categories were uploaded.

I looked up some forum posts here and tried the following:

1) Add the line “php_value memory_limit 64M” at the top of the .htaccess file but it broke the site. So I removed the line.

2) Rename the .htaccess file and got the same 500 Internal Server Error message.

3) Add the line define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ’64M’); near the top of the wp-config.php file, right after the opening <?php – I even increased the size to 256, 512 or 1024M and it still gave me the same 500 Internal Server Error.

I have access to the php.ini file in my FTP but I do not see the line memory_limit = 64M; so I didn’t try this method.

1651 images combined is just under 800MB.

On the page where I could assign authors, it does have a warning note “This WXR file (version 1.2) may not be supported by this version of the importer. Please consider updating.” – Could this be it? My Importer Plugin is already in its latest version.

Can anyone please help? Thanks very much!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • GoDaddy is the WORST!!
    They kill those imports after so long because it takes too much CPU processing. They say its a runaway task. They are very strict when it comes to taking up their “valuable” processing power. I would suggest moving to a more solid host like Bluehost. If you dont want to or cant do that then here is what I suggest.

1. Call GoDaddy support, tell them to exempt you from automatic “kill” just until you get the import finished.
    2. Chop up your import file into several smaller files, each less than a couple hundred posts. Then you can upload several separate Imports.

Call your hosting provider and check the data credentials.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘500 Internal Server Error when importing XML’ is closed to new replies.